1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New proof to bac-cab rule

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1

ady

I've looked up on the solutions to bac-cab rule on the internet but they where all the same Computational, idea free ways.
    I wonder if any one knows any better way.
    I'd be very thankful for any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What is the "bac-cab" rule?

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3

ady

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4
    Hi,

Have you ever tried to come to a proof using the Levi-civita function??

6. Sep 9, 2014 #5

ady

good point

I have but I can't understand it completely. There are some parts that i haven't seen during my studies.
    the parts I mentioned previously are: are Einstein summation convention and Levi-Civita and ... which means I know nothing of that proof's tools.

7. Sep 9, 2014 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

wikipedia shows two different methods, which are not just the standard computation: use of geometric algebra and use of tensor calculus, which has been mentioned already. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product#Vector_triple_product
    Use of geometric algebra is probably the most elegant, but most abstract. The tensor calculus method is still pretty elegant, compared to the standard computation method.

edit: p.s. you can ignore the stuff about the scalar triple product on that page.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted