New Quizz People

  • Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • #1
marlon
3,777
11
New Quizz People !!!!!!!!!!

1) Which artist was the first to sell more then one million copies of his music on an international level???

2) Which scientist thaught that blood was produced and then ejected out of the human body???

3) Who said : i don't know with what weapons world war 3 is going to be fought, but world war four is going to be fought with sticks and bones ???

4) Who said : in heaven all the interesting people are missing

5) Who said : hapiness is a good bank account, a good cook and a good digestion ???

6) Who said : Forgive your ennemies, but never forget their names...

7) Who said : i have come to the conclusion that politics is to important a matter to be left to the politicians ??? (this one is for the French among us, HUMANINO WHERE YOU AT MY FRIEND???)

8) Who said : all paid jobs absorbe and degrade the mind ???

9) Who said : i love the smell of napalm in the morning ???

10) Who owns quasi all Beatle songs ???

11) Who asks the best questions for a quizz : this is a BONUS...

12) WHO ALWAYS SAYS "COME ON : CHOP CHOP"

enjoy

regards
marlon
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
#3 Is Einstein, it's one of my favorite quotes by him ""I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

I'm assuming this is limited to one answer per person so everyone gets a chance?
 
  • #3
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
21
I believe I know #3 (Evo's right), #6, #7, and #10...but I'll take a shot at :

( #1 ) Could this be Richie Valens with La Bamba ? This was definitely before the Beatles, and I'm sure it was a million seller, but I don't know if it was the first. Your use of the word 'international' makes me think this is the answer.
 
  • #4
Echo 6 Sierra
25
1
marlon said:
1) Which artist was the first to sell more then one million copies of his music on an international level???
Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute.

marlon said:
10) Who owns quasi all Beatle songs ???
At one time wasn't it Michael Jackson?
 
  • #5
marlon
3,777
11
questions 3 and 10 are correct. For question you need to go bach to the beginning of 1900 and this artist came from italy but was also very popular in the USA.

marlon
 
  • #6
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
The great Caruso?
 
  • #7
marlon
3,777
11
Evo said:
The great Caruso?

Si, esatto, il grande tenorissimo Enrico Caruso...

you are right again EVO :approve:

"O sole Mio", "Cuore 'n' Grato (=ungreatefull heart) were songs he used to perform as an encore each concert. Just like Pavarotti now...


marlon
 
  • #8
marlon
3,777
11
I will give question 12 : the answer is Chief Inspector Jack Frost from the UK-series A touch of Frost. I don't know whether this is aired in the US. But over here in Belgium and the rest of western europe it is very popular just like Inspector Morse, Maigret (French), Navarro (French) and Derrick , Tatort, Ein Fall Fur Zwei (last three are German) and ofcourse Hercule Poirot (Belgium, you know from Agatha Christie (err she was not belgian but Hercule was lol))


marlon
 
  • #9
PICsmith
54
0
#4 "in heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche
 
  • #10
franznietzsche
1,451
6
HerrSchlauberger said:
#4 "in heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche


Where is that one from?

I don't remember it.
 
  • #11
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,739
7
#8 - "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind" - Aristotle
 
  • #12
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
#9, Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now. I use variations on this line all of the time. Considering that no one has responded...no wonder no one seems to get it!

#12, I think also Mary Poppins.
 
  • #13
franznietzsche
1,451
6
Ivan Seeking said:
#9, Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now. I use variations on this line all of the time. Considering that no one has responded...no wonder no one seems to get it!

#12, I think also Mary Poppins.


Apocalypse now...

Joseph Conrad.... :grumpy: :grumpy:
 
  • #14
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
21
#1 : Caruso ! You're kidding ?! I had no idea people took recording seriously at that time. And I thought tenors were like wandering mistrels moving from one opera house to another. Never imagined them being associated with record labels.

If I may take another stab, I'll go for one of the easier ones,

#6 : I think this is a JFK-ism, but I'm not sure if it's originally his, or is borrowed from someplace else.

#7 : No...I'll leave this for Humanino or any other Charlie from France.
 
  • #15
PICsmith
54
0
Originally Posted by HerrSchlauberger
#4 "in heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Where is that one from?

I don't remember it.

This is from Wikipedia,

Source: From the Nachlaß, KSA 13: 11[153]
Original context: "Die Kirche hat deutsche Kaiser auf Grund ihrer Laster in Bann getan: als ob ein Mönch oder Priester über das mitreden dürfte, was ein Friedrich der Zweite von sich fordern darf. Ein Don Juan wird in die Hölle geschickt: das ist sehr naiv. Hat man bemerkt, daß I am Himmel alle interessanten Menschen fehlen?"

Which means something like:

"The church made german emperors in reason of their vice in spell: as if a monk or priest might take part in that, which Friedrich the second might require of himself. A Don Juan will be sent to hell: that is very naive. Has anyone noticed, that in heaven all the interesting people are missing?"

I've never read the source material, just heard the quote once.
 
  • #16
recon
401
1
Ivan Seeking said:
#12, I think also Mary Poppins.

:rofl: Mary Poppins says "Spit Spot!", not "Chop! Chop!".
 
  • #17
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Gokul43201 said:
#1 : Caruso ! You're kidding ?! I had no idea people took recording seriously at that time. And I thought tenors were like wandering mistrels moving from one opera house to another. Never imagined them being associated with record labels.
I guessed that based on the PBS "Antiques Roadshow" tv show where someone had brought in an old 78rpm signed Caruso recording to find out what it was worth. Turned out it was worthless because Caruso had a deal with the "Victor Talking Machine Company" which manufactured the "Victrola" and with each victrola purchase you got a free Caruso record and there are a ton of the records out there.

I also know that a bark Eskimo seal hunting hat is worth $92,000.00.
 
  • #18
plover
Homework Helper
188
0
Evo said:
I also know that a bark Eskimo seal hunting hat is worth $92,000.00.
The conical thing with the long strips of ivory as decorations? I thought they said 40k-50k. And it was weird when the guy said it was from "south of the Aleutians" which sounds to me like mid-ocean... I don't watch the show, but I saw this bit a couple of days ago. It is a cool hat.
 
  • #19
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
plover said:
The conical thing with the long strips of ivory as decorations? I thought they said 40k-50k. And it was weird when the guy said it was from "south of the Aleutians" which sounds to me like mid-ocean... I don't watch the show, but I saw this bit a couple of days ago. It is a cool hat.
This was conical, but no ivory strips, just a single piece of unadorned bark. I would have never guessed it was a hat, looked like trash to me. :redface: It could be the difference in appraisors or the difference in the hat.
 
  • #20
plover
Homework Helper
188
0
marlon said:
I will give question 12 : the answer is Chief Inspector Jack Frost from the UK-series A touch of Frost. I don't know whether this is aired in the US. But over here in Belgium and the rest of western europe it is very popular just like Inspector Morse, Maigret (French), Navarro (French) and Derrick , Tatort, Ein Fall Fur Zwei (last three are German) and ofcourse Hercule Poirot (Belgium, you know from Agatha Christie (err she was not belgian but Hercule was lol))
They do show A Touch of Frost here, though I haven't seen it. They also show Inspector Morse, and a British Maigret series (and Agatha Christie of course). I like the Prime Suspect series. Our PBS station often shows things from British television, but I don't think we ever get any shows that weren't done in English—I'm not familiar with Navarro, Derrick, Tatort, or Ein Fall Fur Zwei.
 
  • #21
plover
Homework Helper
188
0
Evo said:
This was conical, but no ivory strips, just a single piece of unadorned bark. I would have never guessed it was a hat, looked like trash to me. :redface: It could be the difference in appraisors or the difference in the hat.
It's got to be a different hat then. The one I saw had ivory strips with animal heads carved on the ends, and what they said were Russian beads inlaid as eyes. But it's true, you wouldn't necessarily know it was a hat—I don't think the owners did.
 
  • #22
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
plover said:
It's got to be a different hat then. The one I saw had ivory strips with animal heads carved on the ends, and what they said were Russian beads inlaid as eyes. But it's true, you wouldn't necessarily know it was a hat—I don't think the owners did.
Sounds like the one you saw was a party hat, or for the Pooh-bah. :tongue2:
 
  • #23
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
recon said:
:rofl: Mary Poppins says "Spit Spot!", not "Chop! Chop!".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh was that it! Well crud, I know I have heard that somewhere, and I never watched the show mentioned...

I'm not doing too well here. :cry:
 
  • #24
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
#12 is definitely my mom. :rofl:

#9 I know the quote but didn't know what movie it came from...one of those Vietnam War movies. I'll just have to assume Ivan got it right, though I don't think I've seen Apocalypse Now, yet I know I've heard that line in a movie (then again, I have a friend who uses it all the time too :rolleyes:)
 
  • #25
recon
401
1
Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh was that it! Well crud, I know I have heard that somewhere, and I never watched the show mentioned...

I'm not doing too well here. :cry:

To add shame to your lack of knowledge in this field, you are wrong about Mary Poppins being a show. It was a movie! :tongue2:
 
  • #26
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
recon said:
To add shame to your lack of knowledge in this field, you are wrong about Mary Poppins being a show. It was a movie! :tongue2:
In the US "show" is another word for "movie", at least for us elderly folks. "Let's go to the show", meaning "let's go to the movie". In olden times movies were also called "picture shows". I remember my grandmother talking about going to the picture show.
 
  • #27
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
21
Moonbear said:
#12 is definitely my mom. :rofl:

#9 I know the quote but didn't know what movie it came from...one of those Vietnam War movies. I'll just have to assume Ivan got it right, though I don't think I've seen Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now is a Vietnam War movie, and if you haven't seen it, see it right now, or else...

My dad always insisted I get things done "P.D.Q, chop-chop". I know that the PDQ stood for 'pretty damn quick' but I don't know where he assimilated this phrase from. Anyone seen a movie or read a book with "PDQ, chop-chop" recurring in it ?
 
  • #28
Tsu
Gold Member
411
63
"Chop chop" was an expression used by Charlie Chan
 
  • #29
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Gokul43201 said:
Apocalypse Now is a Vietnam War movie, and if you haven't seen it, see it right now, or else...

My dad always insisted I get things done "P.D.Q, chop-chop". I know that the PDQ stood for 'pretty damn quick' but I don't know where he assimilated this phrase from. Anyone seen a movie or read a book with "PDQ, chop-chop" recurring in it ?
Here in the US there was an old tv show where there was a chinese/japanese sidekick that always said "chop chop", meaning quick. I'm too tired to remember who it was. It might have been a cartoon, or there was a cartoon that made fun of the real life character, because I seem to remember both.
 
  • #30
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
21
I believe you and tsu are talking about the same show. Anything about a 'PDQ' in it ?

Edit : On second thought, I don't want to derail this thread...there's still unanswered questions. I'm going after #7 if no one wants it by tomorrow.
 
  • #31
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
Tsu said:
"Chop chop" was an expression used by Charlie Chan
I was thinking Charlie Chan, but I wasn't sure, and there was a cartoon parody of Chan. That's it!!
 
  • #32
recon
401
1
Oh - so that's why you call the movie business 'show business'. I understand now. :approve:

When you talk about 'Charlie Chan', are you actually referring to Jackie Chan? :uhh:
 
  • #33
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
recon said:
To add shame to your lack of knowledge in this field, you are wrong about Mary Poppins being a show. It was a movie! :tongue2:

I meant the show cited by Marlon. :tongue:

I know Mary Poppins was a movie. It was about a nun that took a job watching some guy's kids in the Alps somewhere.
 
  • #34
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,010
recon said:
When you talk about 'Charlie Chan', are you actually referring to Jackie Chan? :uhh:

Ask your grandparents. :biggrin:
 
  • #35
recon
401
1
Ivan Seeking said:
I meant the show cited by Marlon. :tongue:

I know Mary Poppins was a movie. It was about a nun that took a job watching some guy's kids in the Alps somewhere.

I may have been wrong the first time. However, I'm sure that I'm not wrong in saying that you're wrong this time, although you're right about the actress in both movies. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 

Suggested for: New Quizz People

  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
602
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
540
Replies
12
Views
134
Replies
4
Views
282
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
216
Replies
3
Views
336
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
646
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
478
Replies
18
Views
487
Top