Is the new Radiohead album worth the hype?

• Thread starter steppenwolf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the upcoming release of Radiohead's new album "Hail to the Thief." Some people have already heard it and like it, while others are skeptical and think it may just be a publicity stunt. The conversation also mentions the band's upcoming tour and debates about their previous albums and style. Some people are excited to see them live, while others are not familiar with the band. The conversation also briefly mentions other bands such as Good Charlotte.
steppenwolf
new radiohead album!

who has heard it?
what do you think?
reckon it's the real thing and radiohead are just pulling a major publicity stunt (with a name like 'hail to the thief' it's quite possible)?

so many questions! what a damn fine cd, even if it is just a bunch of not yet mixed, live recordings (pff, what rubbish!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Radiohead!1

yes! June 10th Hail to the Thief comes out! and a north american tour to follow this summer and fall! i am way excited...

Hopefully they've gotten all the whining out of there system.

i doub't it as there is plenty to whine about and it is a dirty job but some one has to do it. thank you for the heads-up steppenwolf, i am looking forward to hearing it.

Originally posted by steppenwolf
who has heard it?
what do you think?

I have it and I like it very much! I have never heard any other Radiohead CD, so I can't compare it to any other, but it is a good CD.

I was amazed at the variety of music styles they have in just one CD! It was very impressive how they can switch up so much.

mm, it's a very differnet sound radiohead has explored with this album, not the best introduction to the band, a bit...out there.

i was very proud to hear that our alternative youth radio station here in australia (triple j) are the first station anywhere in the world to play songs from the new album, although radiohead still vehemently deny this is the real thing.

god i wish they'd come to oz!

i am pretty sure they are planning a tour later this year, but haven't heard if they are coming to aussie or not...

i am not listening to any of the new stuff till it's *officially* released...

Ah yes, Radiohead. I remember them. They used to be a really good rock and roll band, then something dreadful happened...

Oh I get it a clever joke.

Originally posted by Tom
Ah yes, Radiohead. I remember them. They used to be a really good rock and roll band, then something dreadful happened...

[?]

I just don't get those last two albums, especially Amnesiac. Most of it sounds like sonic sludge to me. I think the only song I liked on that one was I Might Be Wrong (the one in which they actually found their guitars).

Maybe it's just me...

well i think amnesiac is some of their best stuff yet, so i think it is probably just you Tom.

Are you ready for Radiohead tomorrow?

Somehow, i knew we'd see Kerrie in this thread...

Originally posted by Tom

get it free at kazaa.com
PEACE OUT!
Video Killed the radio Star
--radiohead

Originally posted by Tom

as colin quinn said, they just got weird.

i got the first "release" back in late march, then parts of the mixed tracks and the b-sides a few weeks ago. it sounds decent, but i like their older stuff better.

i saw them on snl a while back, their singer looked like a combination of schizophrenic and homeless. i wonder if he was going for that look.

on my way to see radiohead live this sunday in auburn washington, anyone else see them live on this tour?

i am green with envy, I'm just...so jealous...

ahhh well, i hope you have fun, i know you'll have fun who am i kidding? poo! well...i did go see placebo in june so i am not completely deprived

will start petition for them to come to australia *goes to look for papar and pen*

I saw 'em at the field day festival in NY. It was initially supposed to be this big 2 day and night weekend event with something like 20 (or more?) bands on long island with overnight camping and the whole shebang-- but they canceled that, axed about half the acts and moved it to an all day affair at giant stadium. To add to the bum-out factor, it rained all day and they charged something like 5 bucks for ponchos which were more like flimsy garbage bags with makeshift holes. Then as the audience eagerly awaits Beck, the 3rd-to-last act, some guy comes on stage and says he 'took a spill' and wouldn't be able to perform. Turns out he was dancing to Underworld earlier in the day and slipped on the wet floor and broke his ribs. Then after a wait we had to endure the Beastie Boys forgetting their lyrics halfway through most of their songs. By the time that was over it was night and everyone was wet and freezing-- shivering from losing heat through my soggy socks is not one of the fondest memories I'll ever have.

Of course, it was all worth it. :wink:

okay, radiohead rocks live! the lights they used were absolutely brilliant, the computerized music was delightful, and thom yorke was absolutely full of energy on stage...completely worth the 2.5 hour drive and the crowds (i stood about six people back from the stage)...

I’ve never heard of that group before.
In an effort to upgrade my musical awareness from terminally un-hip to merely status-critical, I listened to a Good Charlotte song titled Girls & Boys. I thought it was very good music and loved the beat and guitar work.

I haven’t heard any other songs by this group but was wondering if anyone else likes this song.

[edit]
Dude, do you want to crash the mall?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is the new Radiohead album worth the hype?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as it is subjective and based on personal opinions. However, based on critical reception and chart success, it seems that the album is receiving a lot of positive attention and may be worth checking out.

2. How is the new Radiohead album different from their previous work?

The new Radiohead album has been described as a departure from their previous sound, incorporating more electronic and experimental elements. The band has also stated that the album was influenced by current political and social issues, making it more politically charged compared to their past albums.

3. What makes the new Radiohead album stand out?

The new Radiohead album has been praised for its innovative production, thought-provoking lyrics, and diverse range of musical influences. It also tackles timely and relevant themes, making it a standout in the music industry.

4. Are there any standout tracks on the new Radiohead album?

This is a matter of personal opinion, but some standout tracks that have received positive reviews and critical acclaim include "Burn the Witch," "Daydreaming," and "True Love Waits."

5. Would you recommend the new Radiohead album to others?

Again, as a scientist, I cannot give a personal recommendation. However, if you enjoy experimental and thought-provoking music, it may be worth giving the album a listen. It has received a lot of positive reviews and critical acclaim, so it may be worth checking out for those interested in alternative and indie music.