New religion alert

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
cmb
I think in UK it is whether a given number of people who attest to being part of a religion reach some critical value. However, I think the authorities pay no heed to that, making the whole matter of religion 'subjective' [and who'd have imagined that!! :rolleyes:].

In the 2001 UK census which included a voluntary 'Religion' entry, 400,000 people put down 'Jedi'. Yet we still get examples of anti-Jedi-ism. Shocking! :redface: :

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/740264-jedi-leader-banned-by-tesco

Evo
Mentor
It wouldn't.
Note that there are plenty of "real" religious practices that are illegal is Sweden (which ARE legal in some other countries because of freedom of religion), a typical example would be the traditional method of slaughter used for Halal meat.

As far as I can tell this is just essentially a prank. I had a look at the websites of a few Swedish newspapers, and none of them even mention it. This seems like another minor things that thanks to the internet has recieved far more attention than it is worth.
So religion doesn't receive protected status there. Thanks, that changes things.

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had a look at the websites of a few Swedish newspapers, and none of them even mention it.
The first place I heard about this was dn.se. It's still on the main page, but you have to scroll about half way to the bottom. This is the article (in Swedish).