Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New search engine

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    It has semantic capabilities. Try it.
    From Management

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

It works in an odd manner. Searching for vague terms such as "physics" "mathematics" or "science" yields 0 hits.

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    meh, still sticking with google

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The site has been slow (as would be expected at this stage).
    ..probably won't make a good first impression.
    (The site loads much faster if I tell Firefox not to load images... unfortunately, the search box is hard to see.)

It's all over the news... for some reason.
    Other search engines that would compete with Google
    mentioned in past news have come and gone (or at least taken a lower profile).

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's AWFUL! On one search string instead of searching on the main word which was "nasal" it searched primarily on the word "problems" with the first result an article on problems with meth manufacture.

I then searched on Herodotus and got "We didn’t find any results for “herodotus”

:bugeye:

Unlike google, if you mispell a word, it doesn't suggest alternatives, it gives you nothing.

7. Jul 28, 2008 #6
    I don't know of any other engine with smeantic capabilities. I'm not saying they are going to even compete with google. But I think this is quite a serious shift, and my understanding is that google is taking that more seriously than ever before.

8. Jul 28, 2008 #7

Evo

Can explain what you mean by semantic capabilities as it relates to a search engine? What is the perceived benefit?

9. Jul 28, 2008 #8

Astronuc

I think semantic means "context" like the word associations we struggle with the library entries

There is also the matter of heursitics, i.e. learning the most likely context for a keyword or set. Perhaps this search engine is so young, it does not yet have a sufficient database with which to discern semantics.

10. Jul 28, 2008 #9
    It attempts to classify the results by meaning. I am unaware of any other engine with such capabilities. This is very interesting.

To be honnest, I've been thinking about that for quite a while :smile:

For instance, when I search physics, I get many pages entitled
    Quantum
    Nuclear
    Particle
    Medical
    Theoretical
    Plasma
    Applied
    Mathematical
    Health

Plus the box "Explore by category"... It seems it's not working very well, maybe it's overloaded. But it's still remarquable.

11. Jul 28, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

They're getting hammered pretty hard now, and are adding server capacity. It will probably improve with extra time and capacity. I tried them early this morning - no dice. Now you get some hits, but it's really slow.

12. Jul 28, 2008 #11

Evo

The results from google seem better, to me, especially the topics suggested at the bottom. (but I am not a physicist and you are :smile:) I can't get to page 2 on the cuil search, it says "physics" not found. Are you able to get to page 2?

Wow, more than half of what I search on is "not found". I think they were very premature in releasing this. A lot of people are going to try it, not find anything, and never bother going back.

Example: We didn’t find any results for “mayo clinic”

13. Jul 28, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

The search engine is heavily biased to vendors and commercial sites. Try searching "oil" and you'll see a tab for oil paintings. Click that and see what you get. Not real pretty.

14. Jul 28, 2008 #13
    I agree, there is something really wrong going on with their server. I can't get to page two either, and changing browser does not help. Plus the safe search does remove relevant pages. It's a shame...

15. Jul 28, 2008 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cuil... how did they come up with that name? I would pronounce that in a very different manner than 'Cool'.

It's a nice idea though, but they still need to work hard to perfect the technology.

16. Jul 28, 2008 #15
    From the website FAQ (after refreshing 5 times to actually reach the page...)

17. Jul 28, 2008 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok.. and in Gaelic they pronounce Cuil as Cool and not 'Quill'? I can't seem to find a dictionary entry for it.. confusing :confused: (bad marketing)

18. Jul 28, 2008 #17

Evo

Now, if they had just called it "The Salmon of Knowledge" I would probably be more inclined to use it.

19. Jul 28, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

If they did that, I would try to hickory-smoke it in a maple syrup glaze and bung it up for everybody. :tongue2:

20. Jul 28, 2008 #19
    It has improved already. Either this is just my impression, or the database learns by interaction with users.

21. Jul 28, 2008 #20

Evo

They've already lost me. I find what I want on google, so I have no reason to use another search engine. It's why I stopped using Alta Vista and Yahoo and several others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?