Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New SI unit of beauty

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1
    Apparently it has been decided that the new unit for beauty will be the milliHelen.

One milliHelen is said to be the beauty required to launch one ship.

Tee Hee
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2003 #2
    LOL!, but shouldn't this be in the Lounge?
  4. Oct 12, 2003 #3
    It is now!!
  5. Oct 13, 2003 #4
    I think this is a better approach, by far, than the old scale of one to ten, which was subjectively based on the rater's exerience. This new "Hellenic" scale is open ended, allowing for surprising new magnitudes of beauty.

It seems to me it could work the other way as well: preceeded by a negative sign, it could indicate the number of ships sunk by those mistresses whose eyes are "Nothing like the Sun".
  6. Oct 13, 2003 #5
    When I went to school at SOSC I dated a girl named Helen Venus. The face that launched 1000 ships and the goddess of love and beauty wrapped into one.
  7. Oct 13, 2003 #6
    I knew Helen Venus well: a pig in lipstick.
  8. Oct 13, 2003 #7
    This thread has the possiblity of becoming sexist as milliHelen's aren't that applicable to males (No calibration possible of course)
    Any suggestions for a male unit of beauty?
  9. Oct 13, 2003 #8
    I'm sorry, I can't pay attention to that right now. I'm on the lookout for retaliation.
  10. Oct 13, 2003 #9
    retaliation.... umm how about you guys are dumb sexist stupid heads... (er, yeah i suck with insults and stuff) i haven't got any better than that. If a guy has the beauty to launch one ship, then he has one milliHelen.
  11. Oct 13, 2003 #10
    Probably true, Gale, but I haven't got time to worry about that now. I'm waiting for tribdog to launch his counter attack.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?