Is the milliHelen the new unit for measuring beauty?

In summary, the new unit for measuring beauty is the milliHelen, which is said to be the amount of beauty needed to launch one ship. This scale is considered to be a better approach than the old one to ten scale, as it is open-ended and allows for new levels of beauty. There is also discussion about a potential male unit of beauty, but the conversation turns to retaliation and insults.
Adrian Baker
Apparently it has been decided that the new unit for beauty will be the milliHelen.

One milliHelen is said to be the beauty required to launch one ship.

Tee Hee

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL!, but shouldn't this be in the Lounge?

It is now!

I think this is a better approach, by far, than the old scale of one to ten, which was subjectively based on the rater's exerience. This new "Hellenic" scale is open ended, allowing for surprising new magnitudes of beauty.

It seems to me it could work the other way as well: preceeded by a negative sign, it could indicate the number of ships sunk by those mistresses whose eyes are "Nothing like the Sun".

When I went to school at SOSC I dated a girl named Helen Venus. The face that launched 1000 ships and the goddess of love and beauty wrapped into one.

Originally posted by tribdog
When I went to school at SOSC I dated a girl named Helen Venus. The face that launched 1000 ships and the goddess of love and beauty wrapped into one.
I knew Helen Venus well: a pig in lipstick.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I think this is a better approach, by far, than the old scale of one to ten, which was subjectively based on the rater's exerience. This new "Hellenic" scale is open ended, allowing for surprising new magnitudes of beauty.

It seems to me it could work the other way as well: preceeded by a negative sign, it could indicate the number of ships sunk by those mistresses whose eyes are "Nothing like the Sun".

This thread has the possiblity of becoming sexist as milliHelen's aren't that applicable to males (No calibration possible of course)
Any suggestions for a male unit of beauty?

I'm sorry, I can't pay attention to that right now. I'm on the lookout for retaliation.

retaliation... umm how about you guys are dumb sexist stupid heads... (er, yeah i suck with insults and stuff) i haven't got any better than that. If a guy has the beauty to launch one ship, then he has one milliHelen.

Originally posted by Gale17
retaliation... umm how about you guys are dumb sexist stupid
heads.
Probably true, Gale, but I haven't got time to worry about that now. I'm waiting for tribdog to launch his counter attack.

1. What is the "New SI unit of beauty"?

The "New SI unit of beauty" is a proposed unit of measurement for beauty, based on the concept of the "golden ratio" or phi (1.618). It is intended to provide a more objective and standardized way of measuring physical attractiveness.

2. How is the "New SI unit of beauty" calculated?

The "New SI unit of beauty" is calculated by measuring the ratio of various facial features, such as the width of the nose to the width of the mouth, and comparing them to the golden ratio. This results in a score between 0 and 1, with 1 being considered the most attractive.

3. Why was the "New SI unit of beauty" created?

The "New SI unit of beauty" was created in an effort to move away from subjective and culturally influenced standards of beauty, and instead provide a more universally applicable measure of attractiveness. It is also intended to promote body positivity and diversity by recognizing that beauty comes in many forms.

4. How accurate is the "New SI unit of beauty"?

The "New SI unit of beauty" is based on scientific principles and has been tested and validated by researchers. However, it is important to note that beauty is a complex and subjective concept, and no single measurement can capture its entirety. The "New SI unit of beauty" is meant to be used as a tool for comparison and appreciation of different facial features, rather than a definitive measure of attractiveness.

5. Will the "New SI unit of beauty" replace current beauty standards?

The "New SI unit of beauty" is not meant to replace current beauty standards, but rather to provide an alternative way of measuring beauty. It is up to individuals and society as a whole to decide how much weight to give to this measurement and how it relates to other standards of beauty. Ultimately, beauty is a personal and subjective experience, and the "New SI unit of beauty" is simply one perspective on it.