Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Skin Update

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    The new skin is ready to be released. I'll most likely activate it tonight, I just need to optimize some graphics. Overall it's a complete overhaul of the current skin so don't be shocked and run away when you see it. All forum functions and layout for the most part stay the same, so you won't have to learn how to use anything new, it's merely a graphical and color change. Feedback is always welcome, however I will ask you to give the skin atleast a week before you rant and rave. It always takes time to get acustom to something new especially since the old skin was so loyal to us. For those who really prefer the old skin it will still be available and you can switch between the old and new skin via your usercp, so it should be the best of both worlds.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At long last! I can't wait for the "big reveal!" :biggrin:

I hope everyone is ready...it's a BIG change, but it's really fun and exciting, and now that the mentors have had a chance to sneak preview it for a few days, this blue forum is already looking old and boring.

4. Nov 14, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

A NEW SKIN!!!!!!!!!! :surprised

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4
    :approve:

Great tactics, man. I always tell this to people if i have a new girlfriend or haircut.

marlon

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Marlon, that's too funny, because that was the analogy Greg used when introducing the new skin to us mentors, that it's like having a new girlfriend. :rofl:

So, what happened Greg? I thought I'd arrive to PF's completed makeover this morning, and it's still the flat, blue skin...is Smurf bribing you to keep the blue skin?

7. Nov 15, 2005 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems like a pretty seamless transition to me, but it will be hard to get used to. I'm going to miss those modifiable titles of "Radio Wave, ElectroMagnetic Wave", etc below the username.

Umm, that was the change, right? :uhh:

8. Nov 15, 2005 #7
    For some very frustrating and weird reason some postbit conditionals aren't working in the new skin, such as the contributor badge and medals. So until I can fix them I won't release it, so you'll just have a wait a little longer. Hopefully I can figure out a solution today.

9. Nov 15, 2005 #8
    Something I am concerned about is loading speed, so if you can all give me feedback on that it would be helpful.

10. Nov 15, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that was quick! How exciting! I almost didn't realize something was different, I'd gotten so used to it already in the mentor's forum. :biggrin: Woo hoo!

11. Nov 15, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't noticed any issues with loading on the new skin...actually, all the problems I had been experiencing with that seemed to vanish about the same time you introduced the new skin to the mentors...don't know if it was in any way related. :uhh:

12. Nov 15, 2005 #11
    Wow, totally unexpected, i'm loving it, thanks guys!

13. Nov 15, 2005 #12
    Holy s***. Its like PF just got launched into outer space. Way cool. :approve:

Bringing PF into the 21st Century :biggrin:.

14. Nov 15, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

YAY!!!!! The new skin is here. :approve:

15. Nov 15, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'll go for the curmudgeon award: What a ghastly face-lift; reminds me of Liz Taylor's 11th..:grumpy:

16. Nov 15, 2005 #15
    I was about to do that! :biggrin: Nice work.

17. Nov 15, 2005 #16
    I'm going to have to go with Kiki on this one. :biggrin:

18. Nov 15, 2005 #17
    Btw, is the new format designed for 1024x768 screens? Although I can reach all the buttons, links etc without (horizontal) scrolling, I don't have a complete view of the forum in my 800x600 monitor.

19. Nov 15, 2005 #18

ranger

Gold Member

Looks great. Very intense. I must say that I was shocked when I just logged on. But I'll stick with the old skin.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  20. Nov 15, 2005 #19
    Its really big! I now half to scroll side to side to view the page. It loaded just fine. Nice little details added.

21. Nov 15, 2005 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This will be as effective as MJ's 5th nose lift operation..:grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?