New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new skin is ready to be released. There are some minor issues with postbit conditionals not working but they will be fixed soon. Loading speed is a concern and feedback is welcome. The new skin is designed for 1024x768 screens and is much more intense and exciting.
mattmns said:
It looks great, awesome job!

I do have one question though. It seems like there is this silver/blue bar every 15 posts, is this a mistake? Here is a screenshot: http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/1002/pfbluebar5ct.png

In your usercp change your posts per page to 15 or default.

Another thing, how does one open/close a section on the main page with all the forums?

oops, they should be the little arrows to the right of the forum title text, but I have to add the functionality.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks really slick Greg, I like.

My only gripe is the PF Mentor/Admin icons. They don't really fit anymore. Other than that, nice work! :smile:

cscott said:
My only gripe is the PF Mentor/Admin icons. They don't really fit anymore. Other than that, nice work! :smile:

I'm working on updating those :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
In your usercp change your posts per page to 15 or default.
Well I don't want to do that, but it is fine :smile:

everyone's names look too thin and not very noticable i think. especially the golds. i don't mind the contrast between the writing and the background color, but overall its just a lot of gray. i liked how each post had the navy title bar, it separated them better and i think made the pages more appealing. yeah, but now that I'm seriously comparing and contrasting the two, the old one isn't really that great looking... i liked the navy bars though. otherwise, i suppose aside from the kinda weird futuristic graphic things at the top and bottom of the page, its a nice improvement.

Tide said:
Here's a copy.
Eew! The fonts don't look so harsh on my monitor, and I'm only using a laptop (1024 x 768 resolution). Then again, I recall when I checked PF from the lab PC once (using Firefox), even with the old skin it had that harsh look to it...the the fonts were giant and overly pixelated or something. To me, it looks very sleek and shiny. I'll take a screen shot and show you...if I can make it small enough to attach.

Edit: Okay, a full screenshot that retained enough resolution to show you what I see was just too big, so I'm just showing part of the screen so you can see what the fonts, contrast, member names, etc. look like for me.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Also, in my CP, GD, Brain teasers and Feedback forums are all wider than the other forums i have subscribed to. can you fix that? or is it like that for a reason?

:bugeye: OMG IT'S SO COOL

Nice job ;)

Your screenshot looks great! Does anyone know how to change the display fonts in Opera? Thin fonts on a grey background just don't work for older eyes! :)

Moonbear said:
Eew! The fonts don't look so harsh on my monitor, and I'm only using a laptop (1024 x 768 resolution). Then again, I recall when I checked PF from the lab PC once (using Firefox), even with the old skin it had that harsh look to it...the the fonts were giant and overly pixelated or something. To me, it looks very sleek and shiny. I'll take a screen shot and show you...if I can make it small enough to attach.
Edit: Okay, a full screenshot that retained enough resolution to show you what I see was just too big, so I'm just showing part of the screen so you can see what the fonts, contrast, member names, etc. look like for me.

yeah, moonbear, yours doesn't look like mine... mine's like tide's. the fonts are way thin, and the usernames look barely visible. is this something i change on my computer?

Moonbear said:

One of the plusses of using a Mac. Web browser text was always so much easier on the eyes when I used one.

mattmns said:
Another thing, how does one open/close a section on the main page with all the forums?

The categories are collapsable again, use the arrow to the right of the category title.

I have an idea though, to make it a bit more colorful, add a very washed out blue tone to the background, not of the thread itself but the background containing the threads, so to speak.
And also add that same washed blue color to the lines between each post.

Also, make the names bolder, or bigger, so they stand more out.

What you CANT change though are those amazing futuristic graphics on the top and bottom. Those are simply awesome.

Look at this. I did a photoshop of my idea, I think it looks great and it should be easy right?

http://boson.particle.cc/pftest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that I could not resist giving the new skin a try. At first it felt weird. But it quickly grows on you.

Im deffiently likeing the lime green coupled with cobalt blue. Trying to distract me when i should be studying, huh? Hehe

Looks good, guys!

Liz

octelcogopod said:
Look at this. I did a photoshop of my idea, I think it looks great and it should be easy right?

http://boson.particle.cc/pftest.jpg

I like your idea. The contrast is nice. The only criticism I have for the new skin is that it feels all like one color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
table borders are now a blue grey, yay or nay?

I think I see what was changed, if you are talking about what I think you are... I think it looks good, it takes away some of the previous "sameness".

Nice touch.

yeah, i don't actually know what you're talking about. but i do notice a difference that makes me happier... so yay i spose!

He means those tiny lines between each post/forum I think.
I think it looks good..

I see a subtle change in the replies here, but a much more noticeable change on the main index page (sort of blue shadows under each table). I like that change.

uhhhh... wow? It's amazingly different.
looks like it turned out pretty good overall, good work. (haven't really had a chance to explore yet)
Which one I like better will take a few days.
P.S. On loading speed-It definately seems to be longer, I'll deal though

Last edited:
My input on this larger font right now is umm... I don't really like it :/

Although I do understand some people do not have the best of monitors, so I can live with it :)

wow, nice skin. good job!

i don't like mine :(...i like the older one better...how do you change it back to the old one?

cd

cd27 said:
i don't like mine :(...i like the older one better...how do you change it back to the old one?
cd
You could change it back to the classic by going to the lower left corner of the screen, then choose from the pull down menu.

Oooh, the mentor's badge has changed.

The mentor badges and fonts of the member usernames have changed in the PF classic skin as well.

I prefer the Blue hues of the Classic skin.

I switched back and forth, and I guess the number of users is given in the parentheses - then 28 were using the PF classic and 8881 were using the Nexus Skin.

Evo said:
Oooh, the mentor's badge has changed.
Uh oh, all those mentors who need to color coordinate their avatars to their badges are in trouble now! :rofl:

What's all this about it being futuristic though? Isn't lime green retro? :biggrin: :tongue2: I'm just enjoying discovering something new every time I log on. Today was a long day starting out with no power at home, so no time to check PF until now, so I see lots of new things tonight...bigger fonts or bolder or something on the usernames, a fun new mentor badge...though have we all been demoted from "super" power status? :frown: :rofl: Actually, the "super" part was silly once we all had it, so I guess it's good that's gone.

though have we all been demoted from "super" power status? Actually, the "super" part was silly once we all had it, so I guess it's good that's gone.

Being super is a just a given now :smile:

Astronuc said:
The mentor badges and fonts of the member usernames have changed in the PF classic skin as well.
I prefer the Blue hues of the Classic skin.
I switched back and forth, and I guess the number of users is given in the parentheses - then 28 were using the PF classic and 8881 were using the Nexus Skin.

I'm not really going to support the classic skin anymore, so use at your own risk, even though I don't really plan on changing anything in there, it was just easier to overwrite the badges for both skins.

Greg,

FYI - I managed to enable "Clear Type" on my machine (I had no idea there was such a thing!) and now the print looks great - even with the grey background.

Tide said:
Greg,
FYI - I managed to enable "Clear Type" on my machine (I had no idea there was such a thing!) and now the print looks great - even with the grey background.
What is it, and where and how did you do this? This might be helpful for others having issues with the text contrast. :smile:

I view PF on two different computers and the views are completely different. At work I have an anti-glare screen cover which makes things so dark I can hardly see the type, and on my home computer it seems too bright. :rolleyes: