Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New software speed?

1. Mar 28, 2004 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

New software "speed?"

Are there some options I need to turn on/off to improve performance? This is slower than PF2 was on its bad days. 15-20 sec for forums, threads, control panel, everything --- t'ain't my ISP --- sciforums is fine, chemical forums is fine --- PF is ssssllllloooooowwwwwww.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2004 #2
    Well that really surprises me. The actual file sizes of each page are reduced by 20% and the new forum code is supposed to be better optimized and faster. Maybe you just need to wait for things to be cached. I'm on cable internet and PF takes about 2 seconds for every page to load. Hmmm...

4. Mar 28, 2004 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"...optimized...." Ummm hmmmm ---- that explains a lot, actually.

5. Mar 28, 2004 #4
    Do you mean a PHP accelerator of sorts

6. Mar 29, 2004 #5
    As in cleaner and more efficient code

7. Mar 29, 2004 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay --- ran a few "experiments" --- navigating in my normal fashion (forum to thread to next page and back, back, back on the browser bar) it's 6-10 sec to load at each step, and around 10 to "unload" with each "back" step. Using the "forum jump" at the bottom of pages (in the forums, or in the threads) runs around 15 sec (too slow to do more than once or twice), no hints of new topics or anything else, and an accidental "back" is a real mess.

Is there some "cleaner, more efficient" navigational method to be used with the "cleaner, more efficient" code?

8. Mar 29, 2004 #7
    First time i've seen bystander get a little testy :biggrin:

To be honest I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble with loading time. My home and school computer loads pages in 1-2 seconds. Is anyone else have long load times?

Can you run a tracert for me bystander to see if there is an outside influence?

9. Mar 29, 2004 #8

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By and large I have no problems with loading, although occassionally it does take a considerable amount of time for pages to load. For me it only seems to be a random occurrence with low probability of happening though.

10. Mar 30, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pf seems fine to me. I can only suppose it's neither your local connection, nor pf itself, but some router/pipe between you and pf.

- Warren

11. Mar 31, 2004 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Caught things busy enough today to see sorta what's going on --- looks like I'm getting "refresh" triggered on every navigation step. Now all I gotta do is find how to turn that off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?