What is the new source of space radiation discovered near Earth?

In summary: ESA]I spent about an hour or two this morning looking at the history of theories behind these killer electrons:Killer Electronsyear culprit1958 Van Allen 2010/2004 Then Earth’s magnetic lines wobble, creating something like a very large-scale, low frequency laser 2007 gyro-resonant wave–particle interactions 2019 foreshock transient As usual, I understood very little of any of it.That's a different population of electrons. These belts have electrons with a higher energy.[
berkeman said:
Is that true? It's true for a straight path, but for a curved path, something happens to steal energy from the charged particle, no?
I hope I'm using "quote" correctly, if not please give guidance...

Are you asking if the curved path intrinsically reduces energy vs. a straight path?

Otherwise, yes even photons can alter an electron's energy state markedly, it doesn't have to be another particle of matter.

Geo

Astronomy news on Phys.org
geoelectronics said:
Are you asking if the curved path intrinsically reduces energy vs. a straight path?
Yep! Through what mechanism? (and yes, this is a test...)

berkeman said:
Induction.
a.k.a. electromagnetic induction.

Geo

berkeman said:

Is the static magnetic field at right angles to the motion of the electron, or some other angle?
Right angle presents a circular e- path, other angles present a spiral, as shown in the video.

Geo

geoelectronics said:
Induction.
a.k.a. electromagnetic induction.

Geo
No.
Synchrotron radiation (aka cyclotron radiation, same concept). This has been mentioned before already. Charged particles flying through a magnetic field not aligned with their flight direction emit some of their energy as radiation.
OmCheeto said:
For instance, why don't the particles seem to be affected by gravity? Are cyclotrons designed to minimize the effect?
Gravity is negligible compared to all the other forces the particles experience. If you want to store particles for a relevant time span you need focusing magnets (or, rarely, electric fields) anyway.

• Informative
Likes Dragrath and Klystron
mfb said:
No.
Synchrotron radiation (aka cyclotron radiation, same concept). This has been mentioned before already. Charged particles flying through a magnetic field not aligned with their flight direction emit some of their energy as radiation.
Gravity is negligible compared to all the other forces the particles experience. If you want to store particles for a relevant time span you need focusing magnets (or, rarely, electric fields) anyway.
You didn't specify relativistic speeds. We were talking about Solar Wind (~ 1 million miles per hour). Not near the speed of light. Is this forum only for quantum physics, or is classical everyday physics allowed?
Perhaps I misunderstood. Geo

geoelectronics said:
You didn't specify relativistic speeds.
The whole thread is about electrons at relativistic speeds. Not that it would matter, at lower speeds it is called cyclotron radiation but it is fundamentally the same concept: Charges being deflected by a magnetic field radiate.
geoelectronics said:
We were talking about Solar Wind (~ 1 million miles per hour).
The protons are slow but this thread is about the electrons.
geoelectronics said:
Is this forum only for quantum physics, or is classical everyday physics allowed?
I don't see how this question would be related to the thread. Physics used should be suitable for the topic discussed. If quantum mechanics is relevant then a classical description will fail.

Likes Dragrath
mfb said:
The whole thread is about electrons at relativistic speeds. Not that it would matter, at lower speeds it is called cyclotron radiation but it is fundamentally the same concept: Charges being deflected by a magnetic field radiate.The protons are slow but this thread is about the electrons.I don't see how this question would be related to the thread. Physics used should be suitable for the topic discussed. If quantum mechanics is relevant then a classical description will fail.
Please refer back to response #26.

ooops...My error. You are correct, I read the article at the beginning just now. It does say relativistic. My response was to the OP question and was only trying to help him.
Quantum Physics it is. Not my thing. I get it finally, I can't talk quantum and you won't classical physics.

George Dowell
73 DE K0FF

Last edited:
geoelectronics said:
73 DE K0FF
You know that accelerating electrons produces EM radiation (even if not relativistic electrons), or else our antennas would not work... 😉

1566750539144.png

Likes Klystron
I wish I'd known of the following image before I subscribed to this thread:

magnetosphere_s.jpg

[ref]

What a bloody menagerie.
I was contemplating doing the maths, following an electron's path, after it hit the magnetopause, but...
Nope. I'm pretty sure I'd pop one too many blood vessels on my way to the end.

It is fun to think about though.
I find it hard to grasp the magnetopause current.
Aren't the solar wind particles moving REALLY fast?
Isn't the magnetic strength there REALLY weak?

I really do need to do some calculations.

ps. This is a pretty cool image of the magnetopause currents:

477-004-E3F7D730.jpg

[ref]

Likes Dragrath and davenn
davenn said:
Interesting article ...NEW SOURCE OF SPACE RADIATION: Astronauts are surrounded by danger: hard vacuum, solar flares, cosmic rays. Researchers from UCLA have just added a new item to the list. Earth itself.“A natural particle accelerator only 40,000 miles above Earth’s surface is producing ‘killer electrons’ moving close to the speed of light,” says Terry Liu, a newly-minted PhD who studied the phenomenon as part of his thesis with UCLA Prof. Vassilis Angelopoulos.This means that astronauts leaving Earth for Mars could be peppered by radiation coming at them from behind–from the direction of their own home planet.ASA’s THEMIS spacecraft ran across the particles in 2008 not far from the place where the solar wind slams into Earth’s magnetic field. Researchers have long known that shock waves at that location could accelerate particles to high energies–but not this high. The particles coming out of the Earth-solar wind interface have energies up to 100,000 electron volts, ten times greater than previously expected.How is this possible? Liu found the answer by combining THEMIS data with computer simulations of the sun-Earth interface. When the solar wind meets Earth, it forms a shock wave around Earth’s magnetic field, shaped like the bow waves that form ahead of a boat moving through water. Within this “bow shock” immense stores of energy can be abruptly released akin to the sonic boom of an airplane.Liu found that some electrons are shocked not just once, but twice or more, undergoing mirror-like reflections within the bow shock that build energy to unexpected levels. Most of the boosted particles shoot back into space away from Earth.

View attachment 247941
Above: Dr. Terry Liu created this diagram showing the location of the natural particle accelerator and how it sprays radiation into space.​
“Similar particles have been detected near Saturn, suggesting that the process is at work there as well,” says Liu. “Indeed,” adds Angelopoulos, “this type of particle acceleration could be happening throughout the cosmos–from supernovas to solar storms–wherever a supersonic wind hits a barrier.”Meanwhile, back home, Earth-orbiting satellites and departing astronauts have a new source of radiation to contend with. It’s right over their shoulder.Read the original research at Science Advances.
Cheers
Dave
Pardon my dumb question but didn't the Lunar missions go to an altitude of 240K miles?

geoelectronics said:
PS It is good to be suspicious. Question everything, demand proof,
observe everything closely, experiment.
That could sound a bit of a Motherhood and Apple Pie thing (gotta be good) but, in practice, proofs of modern Scientific advances are probably far too hard for your average reader (me too) to appreciate and experiments often cost thousands or millions of quid to carry out. When you get down to it, we have to accept the authority of peer reviewed papers and credible magazines (sometimes PF is a good start).

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy
<h2>1. What is the new source of space radiation?</h2><p>The new source of space radiation is a group of high-energy particles that have been discovered near Earth's atmosphere. These particles are believed to originate from outside our solar system.</p><h2>2. How was this new source of space radiation discovered?</h2><p>This new source of space radiation was discovered through data collected by NASA's Voyager 1 and 2 spacecrafts. These spacecrafts have been traveling through our solar system for over 40 years and have reached the edge of our heliosphere, which is the bubble of charged particles that surrounds our solar system.</p><h2>3. What is the potential impact of this new source of space radiation?</h2><p>This new source of space radiation could have potential impacts on astronauts and satellites in space. It could also affect our technology on Earth, such as power grids and communication systems.</p><h2>4. How does this new source of space radiation differ from other sources?</h2><p>This new source of space radiation differs from other sources, such as solar flares or cosmic rays, because it is made up of high-energy particles that are not typically found in our solar system. It is also constantly present, unlike solar flares which are sporadic events.</p><h2>5. What further research is being done to understand this new source of space radiation?</h2><p>Scientists are continuing to study this new source of space radiation to better understand its origins and behavior. They are also looking for ways to protect astronauts and technology from its potential impacts. Future space missions, such as the Parker Solar Probe, will provide more data and insights into this phenomenon.</p>

1. What is the new source of space radiation?

The new source of space radiation is a group of high-energy particles that have been discovered near Earth's atmosphere. These particles are believed to originate from outside our solar system.

2. How was this new source of space radiation discovered?

This new source of space radiation was discovered through data collected by NASA's Voyager 1 and 2 spacecrafts. These spacecrafts have been traveling through our solar system for over 40 years and have reached the edge of our heliosphere, which is the bubble of charged particles that surrounds our solar system.

3. What is the potential impact of this new source of space radiation?

This new source of space radiation could have potential impacts on astronauts and satellites in space. It could also affect our technology on Earth, such as power grids and communication systems.

4. How does this new source of space radiation differ from other sources?

This new source of space radiation differs from other sources, such as solar flares or cosmic rays, because it is made up of high-energy particles that are not typically found in our solar system. It is also constantly present, unlike solar flares which are sporadic events.

5. What further research is being done to understand this new source of space radiation?

Scientists are continuing to study this new source of space radiation to better understand its origins and behavior. They are also looking for ways to protect astronauts and technology from its potential impacts. Future space missions, such as the Parker Solar Probe, will provide more data and insights into this phenomenon.