New speculation about cause of dark energy

In summary, the paper "Dark Energy from Mass-Varying Neutrinos" by Fardon et al proposes that the cause of dark energy may be linked to the mass-varying nature of neutrinos. This idea is deemed plausible by the speaker, who also mentions that it may be testable with an accelerator. The speaker also recalls reading another paper by the same team and concludes that the position and density of neutrino sources can affect their detection and transformation. They suggest that the local density of space may be altered by the number of neutrinos present.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0309800

A group at University of Washington, Fardon et al
just posted "Dark Energy from Mass-Varying Neutrinos"
which does not seem to me as far-fetched as other speculation I've seen about cause of DE

they seem to think that some element of their idea is
testable with an accelerator at attainable energies

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recall reading another paper(it may be the same team)and I have something written down on my thoughts. As far as I am able to recall, I concluded that the position of source had a baring on neutrino detection, being that the density of our local field (generated by the Suns radiative photons emmisions, amongst a background density of accelerated expanding vacuum density-within our Milkyway) can determine the speed of neutrino's.

Accumilated Neutrino Mass, and dissapated Neutrino Mass from a 'in-flight' transformation of Where the Neutrino's have come from, and where they are now? I should be commenting on this without actually getting my paperwork out!..but my consensus is now as was then:Past-Present Neutrino flux are constrained by our local bubble within the Milky way, certain neutrino's come from close by, whilst others come from far off place's. Simply put Neutrino's are dependant on how many interactions(phase-interactions) they have been party to, currently it seems there has been three important Phase's of our Universe.

The density of local space may be changed ,Phase Transformed, by the total Neutrino per volume/density.

The recent speculation about the cause of dark energy is certainly intriguing. The idea proposed by Fardon et al, that dark energy could be the result of mass-varying neutrinos, is a unique and potentially testable theory. It is refreshing to see a new approach to understanding the mysterious force driving the expansion of the universe.

While other speculations about dark energy have been met with skepticism, the idea of mass-varying neutrinos is not as far-fetched. Neutrinos are known to have mass, and their properties are still not fully understood. This makes them a prime candidate for further investigation into their potential role in dark energy.

The fact that Fardon et al's theory can be tested with an accelerator at attainable energies is also promising. This means that their hypothesis can be put to the test and potentially provide evidence for or against their idea. The ability to test a theory is crucial in the scientific community, and it adds credibility to their speculation.

However, it is important to note that this is still just a speculation and further research and evidence is needed to fully support this theory. As with any new idea, it is important to approach it with a critical and open mind, and to continue to explore other potential explanations for dark energy.

Overall, the new speculation about the cause of dark energy is a thought-provoking and exciting development in the field of astrophysics. It will be interesting to see how this theory develops and if it can provide a deeper understanding of the mysterious force driving the expansion of our universe.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. What is the current speculation about the cause of dark energy?

The current speculation is that dark energy is caused by a scalar field, a type of energy field that permeates all of space and has a constant energy density. This theory is known as the "cosmological constant" or "Lambda-CDM" model.

3. How does the new speculation differ from the current theory?

The new speculation suggests that dark energy may be caused by a new type of subatomic particle, called a "sterile neutrino." This is different from the current theory, which proposes a scalar field as the cause of dark energy.

4. What evidence supports this new speculation?

Recent observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe have shown some discrepancies with the predictions of the current theory. This has led scientists to explore alternative explanations, such as the sterile neutrino theory.

5. How will this new speculation be tested?

Scientists are currently designing new experiments and observations to test the sterile neutrino theory. These include using the Large Hadron Collider to search for evidence of sterile neutrinos and studying the distribution of galaxy clusters in the universe. If the new speculation is correct, it could potentially provide a more complete understanding of the nature of dark energy.