New Sticky: Formula Derivation

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of people mindlessly using equations to solve physics problems rather than truly understanding the underlying concepts. It is seen as a disgrace to the physics community and it is believed that a deeper understanding of the formulas and their derivations is necessary to truly excel in physics. It is suggested to start a sticky on formula derivation to aid in this understanding.
Hyperreality
It seems to me, when it comes to solving physics problems, the strategy most people apply is to mindlessly plug numbers into equations without truly understanding the concepts behind it.

To me this is a disgrace to the physics community! We learn physics to appreciate the beauty of nature not to pass some exams that confines our potential. :cry: Besides if you really want to be good a physics you need not only to know how to use the formula, you also need have insights to how it is derived and the concepts behind it. That is why I think it would be helpful for someone to start a sticky on formula derivation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. I'll start putting some together.

Good idea!

What is "New Sticky: Formula Derivation"?

"New Sticky: Formula Derivation" is a scientific method used to derive mathematical formulas or equations from experimental data.

Why is formula derivation important?

Formula derivation is important because it allows scientists to understand the relationships between variables and make predictions about future experiments or observations.

How does formula derivation work?

Formula derivation involves analyzing experimental data and using mathematical techniques, such as calculus and statistics, to determine the relationship between variables and derive a formula that accurately describes the data.

What are the benefits of using formula derivation?

Using formula derivation can lead to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms of a phenomenon, as well as providing a more accurate and precise way to make predictions and analyze data.

Are there any limitations to formula derivation?

Formula derivation relies heavily on the quality and quantity of experimental data, so if the data is incomplete or inaccurate, the derived formula may not accurately represent the phenomenon. Additionally, formula derivation may not be applicable in all situations and may not always lead to a complete understanding of a complex system.