Non-Physics Careers for Physics PhDs

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter DR13
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a sticky thread in the career guidance section of a forum for non-physics careers for those with a physics PhD. It is noted that this topic is frequently brought up and having a dedicated thread could be helpful. The conversation also mentions an existing thread that addresses this topic, and it has been highlighted for easier access. However, it is clarified that this thread is not exactly what is being suggested and the desired topic is about alternative career options for those pursuing a physics PhD.
DR13
I think there should be a sticky thread in the career guidance section about non-physics careers for a physics phd. I swear, a new thread pops us about that topic every week.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's a very common topic. Sticky-ing it could be helpful.

Meanwhile, this thread does a good job addressing it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

It's been highlighted, so if you switch to "Highlighted Threads" it's easier to find.

lisab said:
Yes, it's a very common topic. Sticky-ing it could be helpful.

Meanwhile, this thread does a good job addressing it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

It's been highlighted, so if you switch to "Highlighted Threads" it's easier to find.

That isn't exactly what I am talking about.
That thread is about "Can I get a physics PhD w/o a physics degree from undergrad"
I'm talking about "I am getting/am planning to get a physics PhD but what can I do for a career besides physics research"
I hope that clears things up.

1. What types of non-physics careers are available for individuals with a Physics PhD?

There are a variety of non-physics careers available for individuals with a Physics PhD. Some common options include data science, engineering, finance, science policy, and teaching.

2. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are particularly useful for non-physics careers?

Yes, certain skills and qualifications are highly valued in non-physics careers. These include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming and data analysis, and knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts.

3. How can I leverage my Physics PhD for a non-physics career?

One way to leverage your Physics PhD for a non-physics career is to highlight the transferable skills you have gained through your education and research, such as critical thinking, data analysis, and project management. You can also gain relevant experience through internships or volunteer work in your desired field.

4. Will I need to go back to school to pursue a non-physics career?

It depends on the specific career you are interested in. While some may require additional education or training, many non-physics careers value the skills and knowledge gained through a Physics PhD and do not require further schooling.

5. How do I network and find job opportunities in non-physics fields?

Networking is crucial for finding job opportunities in non-physics fields. You can attend job fairs, join professional organizations, connect with alumni, and reach out to individuals in your desired field for informational interviews. Online job search engines and career websites can also be helpful resources.