Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New storage breakthrough

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1

1oldman2

Gold Member

After reading about this I'm left wondering whats next.
    From, http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36824902

"In theory, this storage density would allow all books ever created by humans to be written on a
    single post stamp," said Dr Otte.
    As a proof of principle, the team encoded a section of a famous lecture called "There's plenty of
    room at the bottom" by the physicist Richard Feynman on an area 100 nanometres wide.

However, despite its future promise, the approach is not ready for the real world just yet. Stable
    information storage could only be demonstrated at a temperature of 77 Kelvin (-196C) and the
    speed of single write and read processes is still slow - on the scale of minutes.
    (anyone know how I happened to do duplicate posts here?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2016 #2
    I'm thinking, look for 10-year-old articles about the latest storage breakthroughs. I think the holographic floppy disks were supposed to be standard by now.

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3

1oldman2

Gold Member

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4
    Artificial DNA synthesis.

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5

1oldman2

Gold Member

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Thanks :smile:

7. Aug 3, 2016 #6
    If you want really long lasting data use M-Disc.. It's a type of CD/DVD which don't use the classic painted reflective layer but a carbon layer.
    Is advertised as 1000 years... Yes thousand. The military did stress tests with it and various other brands and stuff it is really that good.. It's basically inert carbon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted