Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New streaming news feed.

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1

turbo

Gold Member

Al Jazeera is now offering a streaming news feed in English. Click on "TV News Now" at the upper left.

http://english.aljazeera.net/News

The production values are good, and the 56K feed is pretty good, so people on dial-up should be able to access it. There is a nice mix of stories on the environment, economics, politics, sports, even weather. I just saw a blurb indicating that David Frost will be doing interviews for them, as well. The coverage so far has been quite balanced IMO. It's easy to see why Al Jazeera has been banned in fundamentalist Muslim countries.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

After a few hours, I am impressed with the depth of coverage and the progressive stance of the new service. There have been a number of stories (top ones are repeated or summarized briefly) that touch on women's rights, how starvation and violence are killing refugees in Darfur, the recent election in the Congo, Bush's trip to Asia, the role of the Iraqi naval forces in defending their offshore oil platforms, the problem of kidnapping, torture and killings between Iraqi factions, etc, etc. There have been some in-depth moderated discussions about how the Palestinian situation can be resolved, and whether the US can benefit from engaging Syria and Iran in direct diplomacy.

The explanatory text bars at the bottom of the tiny screen in the 56K feed are difficult or impossible to read. There are subscription services for high-bandwidth feeds, but I would not be surprised to see Al Jazeera offer higher-bandwidth feeds for free at some point. From the (few) commercials that they run, they appear to have well-heeled sponsors, and any progressive Arabic government should be happy to have this information disseminated as widely as possible. It is refreshing to see news stories presented from alternate points of view.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Wasn't Riz Khan with CNN?

5. Nov 15, 2006 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Yes, he was. As noted above, David Frost has joined this Al Jazeera English TV project, as well, and there are LOTS of British accents among the reporters - it seems like Al Jazeera might have lured away a lot of BBCs Middle East staff.

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5
    The last time I saw David Frost host a show was the Guinness World Records somewhere in the late 80's.

7. Nov 15, 2006 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Al Jazeera should try to snag Christiane Amanpour and Wolf Blitzer. They are tough reporters and are experienced in the politics and cultures of the ME.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?