1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New student needing advice

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    Hello, I just started my first semester as a pre-engineering major with a focus in mechanical engineering and hopes of going into an aerospace masters program in Las Vegas, NV. I'm 26 and work full time at a property on the Strip making decent income. My department will be going away soon (within a year) and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I found a flyer at UNLV for propulsion engineering through the U.S. Navy stating that I will get paid while going to school as well as a Master's degree of my choice.

image.jpg

My concern is that I do not want to go to war or be involved in any military conflicts. Has anyone gone through a program similar to this? What are your thoughts? Any recommendations? I would eventually like to work on spacecraft for an Aerospace company such as SpaceX or maybe even NASA. However, I do not have any connections in this field of work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to work on spacecraft, then why are you signing up for a naval nuclear propulsion program? This program takes applicants who are interested in studying nuclear reactors used to drive submarines and aircraft carriers, so there's not going to be a lot of carryover to spacecraft, unless you think nuclear-powered spacecraft are just around the corner.

And yes, just like the song says, you'll be in the Navy while you study, and there will be a term of active duty commitment following the completion of your studies. If you don't want to take the King's shilling, keep walking.

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you join the navy you are committing to a term of service and freely volunteering to take up arms against another country or group of people if called to do so by your government. If you're not willing to do that, this is a not a deal for you.

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    I see, then am I on the right path on focusing on getting the degree or should I be doing something on top of that as well?

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then you shouldn't join the Navy. That's the Navy's job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook