How can effervescent waves be used for superlensing?

• Thread starter sas3
  • Start date
In summary, A group of individuals were discussing an article they had read about focusing light smaller than its own wavelength. One person was confused about this concept and asked for clarification. It was explained that the wavelength is not the size of the photon, but a way of stating its frequency. The technique being discussed is not actually focusing light, but rather utilizing an odd effect where light reflecting off a surface creates a much smaller wavelength. This technique has potential applications in fields such as optical storage and nanolithography. One individual wondered if it could also be used for harnessing sunlight more efficiently or improving telescope resolution, but it is unlikely due to the changes in the nature of the light. Another individual shared their knowledge about effervescent waves and their use
sas3
Gold Member
I don’t know if anyone else here seen the article but I found it very interesting.
Although I am a little confused or maybe I just do not understand the duality of light very well.
I did not think it was possible to focus light smaller then its own wavelength.
Maybe someone here can explain this to me.
Here is a link to the article.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=632

Computer science news on Phys.org
This sounds like a really interesting concept. If you could focus a laser down past the wavelength of the wave, then a lot of applications could come from this.

"If you could focus a laser down past the wavelength of the wave"

That is the part I am confused about how can you make a wave smaller then the wavelenght?

Is the stuff coming out still photons or is it something else?

Last edited:
The wavelength isn't really the size of the photon - it's just another way of stating it's frequency. Imagine watching a ball bounce up and down as it goes along a road, if it moving along at 2m/s and is bouncing once per second it's 'wavelength' is 2m but the ball is much smaller than this.

Also this technique isn't focussing the light. There is an odd effect where light reflecting off a surface creates a wave in the surface with a much smaller wavelenght than the light producing it. It is this wave which is being focussed.

Intriguing. I wonder what scales this will work over. They mentioned optical storage and nanolithography, but would it 'scale up' for harnessing sunlight more efficiently or improving telescope resolution? I figure not the latter, because it changes the nature of the light; an image probably wouldn't survive the transisition.

Effervescent waves have very small penetration lengths ( order of nm ) and decay exponentially. This is their main use in sensors.

You coat a mirror with some biological goop with dye molecules on the interesting bit, you bounce a laser off the back of the mirror, the effervescent wave penetrates a couple of nm out into the goop and excites the dyes which fluoresce and you pick that up with a detector. But since the laser was only ever on the back side of the mirror none of the laser light reaches the detector which is the normal problem with excited dye setups.
This also relies on the very short length of the effervescent wave to only excite dye very close to the surface so you can use it to sample stuff in a liquid or gas volume with very little background - my wife's PhD was on this!

1. What is a new superlensing technique?

A new superlensing technique is a method of achieving super-resolution imaging, which allows for the visualization of objects that are smaller than the diffraction limit of light. It involves the use of specialized materials or structures that can manipulate light in ways that were previously thought to be impossible.

2. How does the new superlensing technique work?

The new superlensing technique works by utilizing materials with a negative refractive index, which allows for the focusing of light at a subwavelength scale. This enables the visualization of objects that were previously too small to be seen with traditional imaging techniques.

3. What are the potential applications of the new superlensing technique?

The new superlensing technique has potential applications in various fields such as biology, medicine, and nanotechnology. It could be used to study and image biological structures at a much higher resolution, leading to a better understanding of cellular processes and diseases. It could also be used in the development of smaller and more efficient electronic devices.

4. What are the limitations of the new superlensing technique?

One of the main limitations of the new superlensing technique is the difficulty in fabricating materials with a negative refractive index. This makes it challenging to implement the technique in practical applications. Additionally, the technique is currently limited to imaging objects that are close to the surface, and it may not be suitable for imaging large or three-dimensional structures.

5. How does the new superlensing technique compare to other super-resolution imaging methods?

The new superlensing technique has several advantages over other super-resolution imaging methods. It allows for the visualization of objects at a higher resolution than other techniques, and it is not limited by the wavelength of light. It also has the potential to be combined with other imaging methods, such as fluorescence microscopy, to provide even more detailed images.