Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New test of relativity.

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    Tonight I'm going to conduct an experiment that should settle the debate between relativity and creationism. If I'm right, space will remain still as time shoots forward by an hour.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    I don't see the conflict. When I was in grade school the nuns taught us that Einstein created relativity in six years, and in the seventh year, he published. You have to understand that's a metaphor and shouldn't be taken literally. Carbon dating proves Lorentz helped, but that doesn't actually disprove the existence of Einstein.

Anyway, how'd your experiment go?

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm betting on relativity but the other may win in the fall when an extra hour gets 'created'.

6. Mar 11, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Sorry guys, that missing hour is all my fault. I forgot to ground my Flux Capacitor and it exploded.

7. Mar 11, 2012 #6
    Last night's experiment did not go as planned. All of the clocks did jump forward 1 hour as predicted. However, the one in the den is 60 nanoseconds fast. Before I publish my results, I am checking everything to see if there is a screw loose somewhere.

8. Mar 11, 2012 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seriously fluxed up.

9. Mar 11, 2012 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We jumped ahead two hours here - one for Tsu and one for me.

10. Mar 11, 2012 #9
    I understand Lorentz showed Daylight Time implied creationism but Einstein showed that creationism was not invariant with respect to changing clock time.

11. Mar 12, 2012 #10

alt

Gold Member

Well how is it that it had no effect in my part of the world, hmm ?

Doesn't matter - look, I'll complete the job for you, ummm, should get around to it beginning of April.

And just to show you I know my stuff, I'll make time shoot back by an hour !

12. Mar 14, 2012 #11

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Mar 14, 2012 #12
    Heh, what I think is funny about a statement like this is that relativity really is a very "a priori" theory in reality! Other than the fact of the speed of light being constant in all reference frames, it's absolutely incredible how much can be deduced from the couch (if you were Einstein and related scientists during those days of course.. though now we can still totally get into that kind of a spirit when we read about the great theory and the logic that leads up to it.)

Also the comic above was hilarious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook