New to 11 Physics: Calculate Ferry Boat Velocity, Time, and Displacement

• Thread starter myjackie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves a ferry boat crossing a river with a width of 8.5 x 10^2m. The water has an average velocity of 3.8 m/s [E] relative to the shore and the boat has an average velocity of 4.9 m/s [S] relative to the water. To solve for the velocity of the ferry boat relative to the shore, we need to form a right angle triangle and find the resultant vector. This can be done using the equations a=(Vf-Vi)/t, Vf=Vi+at, and d=Vit+1/2a^2. The displacement of the boat can also be determined using these equations. It is recommended
myjackie

Homework Statement

1) A ferry boat is crossing a river that is 8.5 x 10^2m wide. The average velocity of the water relative to the shore is 3.8 m/s [E] and the average velocity of the boat relative to the water is 4.9 m/s .
a. Determine the velocity of the ferry boat relative to the shore.
b. How long does the crossing take?
c. Determine the displacement of the boat as it crosses from the north shore to the south shore.

I'm preparing for Physics 11 during the summer by having a tutor and I seem to have a lot of difficulty understanding anything... Does anyone mind walking me through this question?

Homework Equations

a=(Vf-Vi)/t
Vf=Vi+at
d=Vit+1/2a^2

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I know, I am only given the velocity of the water relative to the shore (3.8 m/s [E]) and the velocity of the boat relative to the water (4.9 m/s ). Is there a acceleration variable that I missed because I have no idea how to solve this problem with just the velocities.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is good that you are taking steps to prepare for your next class. This question probably came from a chapter in a physics textbook that discussed vectors. Have you learned about vectors?

Oh yes, I did learn about vectors, but I'm struggling to understand that as well...

Okay, I just read over my notes... Am I suppose to form a right angle triangle with the velocities and find the "resultant vector"?

Yes. Hopefully, your notes cover how to get the angle of the resultant vector. I would suggest drawing a graphical representation of the problem to help you retain your wits.

1. How do you calculate ferry boat velocity, time, and displacement in 11 Physics?

In order to calculate the velocity, time, and displacement of a ferry boat in 11 Physics, you need to use the equation v=d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents displacement, and t represents time.

2. What are the units of measurement for velocity, time, and displacement in 11 Physics?

The units of measurement for velocity, time, and displacement in 11 Physics are meters per second (m/s) for velocity, seconds (s) for time, and meters (m) for displacement.

3. Can you use the calculation for ferry boat velocity, time, and displacement in other scenarios besides 11 Physics?

Yes, the equation v=d/t can be used to calculate velocity, time, and displacement in various scenarios, such as in other branches of physics, engineering, and even everyday life situations.

4. How does calculating the velocity, time, and displacement of a ferry boat in 11 Physics help in understanding the motion of objects?

By calculating the velocity, time, and displacement of a ferry boat in 11 Physics, we can better understand the concepts of speed, distance, and time in relation to an object's motion. This can help us make predictions and analyze the behavior of other moving objects.

5. Are there any other equations or concepts related to the calculation of ferry boat velocity, time, and displacement in 11 Physics?

Yes, there are other equations and concepts related to this calculation, such as acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time, and the concept of relative motion, which takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other.