Learn C++ & Visual Basic: Software Needed

• C/C++
  • Thread starter alanveron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, you're going to have to shell out $500 for Microsoft's Visual Studio if you want to program in C++ and Visual Basic. However, I believe there are free compilers for C++, but I don't really know them too well.
alanveron
i am new to C++ and Visual Basic,so can anyone let me know what software is needed for each programming language...tks

Technology news on Phys.org
You're going to have to shell out +$500 for Microsoft's Visual Studio if you want to program in C++ and Visual Basic. However, I believe there are free compilers for C++, but I don't really know them too well.

err...i just need microsoft visual studio for both programming language?

Nowdays you have what is called the microsoft.net framework, I would highly recommend learning visual basic.net instead of old visual basic unfortunatly this requires you to obtain visual studio.net this also compiles c++ and the newer managed .net c++. For a good plain old free c++ commandline compiler try borland bcc 5 ?.

http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/cppcomp.html

Last edited:
username,u talk until i blur blur already coz i juz new to programming...err...you meant it's better for me to get visual studio.net to learn these 2 programming language?

Yeah sorry the fact is C++ is one of the most difficult programming languages to learn ever to become an expert (if they exist) takes many many years. I would suggest if you want to make money from programming start learning microsoft.net enabled languages such as visual basic.net forget c++ at any rate. I do not have much experience with visual basic sorry buts it bound to be a better idea to learn than c++.

Last edited:
If you are new to programming the best way forward is to learn javascript and dhtml, now that is free and you already have all the software you need.

i have already learned dhtml before...so if i want to learn javascript,what are the software that i need?

Javascript can run inside your internet browser. The best way to find out about learning dhtml/javascript is doing a google search. Although javascript is not a compiled language you can still do fun stuff with it like making simlple games etc.

oops,but my fren ask me to learn C language first coz he said C language is the most fundamental programming language

Well depends if you are learning this by yourself or have a teacher. If you are on your own start off simple. Set yourself a task e.g. try and make the worms program in javascript and stick it on a website. Keep it simple and fun then learn C.

username...tks for all of ur advices,really appreciate it,thank you very much

.Net (C#, VB, etc) is good if your going to program exclusively for Microsoft's products. In the real world there is more than just one operating system, and if you want to professionally program for some major corporation such as IBM, you won't be doing your programming in .Net, but rather standard C/C++ and/or Java.

Last edited:
Have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

"What is the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?
The Visual C++ Toolkit is a free edition of Microsoft’s professional Visual C++ optimizing compiler and standard libraries--the same optimizing compiler and standard libraries that ship in Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!"

According to http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml (scroll down about 20%), you might be able to download "Microsoft .NET Framework Software Development Kit / Microsoft VB.NET / Free Visual Basic .NET Compiler".

In addition, check out gcc (which can be installed with cygwin http://www.cygwin.com ) and DevC++ from http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
they are all in https://www.amazon.com/?tag=pfamazon01-20
check for software link, set up an account, and order! a few days later, you would get the package. Then, unpackage it, put the CD into your CD rom driver, and just let it automatically install the software in your machine.
After already installing the software, you will be asked to restart the computer, just do as what you are told, a minute or 2 then you can make your first program in C/C++/MFC and VB.
Help ?

This is exactly the wind what makes people cold ! not the PHPer !

Pattielli,

<?php
echo "Huh?";
?>

alanveron ,

Ok... this is very basic question when person going to start his profession ,

Ok I made a mistake to going for vb ( now no one is using it ) , so go for the basic technologies
Like c , C++ on unix platform , Trust me you will find yourself most happy person even after 10 years form now

You can use c++ on Unix , Linux , dos , Windows
Good luck buddy

Rahul

1. What is the difference between C++ and Visual Basic?

C++ is a high-level programming language that is primarily used for developing system software, drivers, and games. It is a powerful and efficient language, but can be more complex for beginners to learn. Visual Basic, on the other hand, is a more user-friendly language that is commonly used for developing Windows applications. It is easier to learn and use, but may not have the same level of performance as C++.

2. Do I need any special software to learn C++ and Visual Basic?

Yes, you will need a software development environment to write and compile code in both C++ and Visual Basic. Some popular options include Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse, and Code::Blocks. These environments provide an editor, compiler, and debugger to help you write and test your programs.

3. Can I write and run C++ and Visual Basic code on a Mac?

Yes, there are software development environments available for Mac that support both C++ and Visual Basic. Some examples include Xcode, Qt Creator, and MonoDevelop. However, you may need to install additional tools or libraries to ensure compatibility with your specific code.

4. Are there any free options for software development environments?

Yes, there are free options available for both C++ and Visual Basic development. Microsoft offers a free version of Visual Studio called Visual Studio Community, which is suitable for beginners and hobbyists. Other free options include Eclipse, Code::Blocks, and Qt Creator.

5. Can I use online platforms to learn C++ and Visual Basic?

Yes, there are various online platforms and tutorials available for learning C++ and Visual Basic. Some popular ones include Codecademy, Udemy, and Coursera. These platforms provide step-by-step lessons, interactive exercises, and projects to help you learn and practice the languages at your own pace.