Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to C/C++

1. Dec 28, 2007 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm new to programming languages in general and I discovered that engineering students at my university, of which I am one, have to take a first-year introductory course to programming in C. Apart from the fact that I'm clueless as to where to start, I'm looking for a good text which I can learn from. Can anyone here recommend some good introductory texts I can learn from. I'm currently looking through some of the websites listed in the stickies here but I don't see any recommended texts.

Can someone comment on whether Engineering Problem Solving with C by Delores M Etter is a good starting text?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you wait until the course starts to make a decision about whether or not you need an additional text. If you're in a hurry, try the Schaum's Outline, it is inexpensive.

4. Dec 28, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata is my main reference book for C and is the text I used in my introductory programming course. The C++ Primer by Prata is also good introduction to C++.

5. Dec 29, 2007 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll go check them out. Reason why I wanted to get a recommendation is because I learn rather slowly and would therefore need some kind of head-start to study at the same pace as the rest.

6. Dec 29, 2007 #5

ranger

Gold Member

Its generally a good idea to get a head start. In this way you won't be surprised by the lectures. You can also take sometime to write some questions that are perplexing and discuss them with your professor.

I haven't read Engineering Problem Solving with C, but from the book summary it sounds quite interesting, but not at an introductory level. You should probably pick it up after you're done with your introductory course. Have you read book reviews? You may even want to preview a copy of the book at your school's library.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?