How can I get started with classical mechanics and solve difficult problems?

In summary, the person is asking for general advice on how to start problems in a textbook and how to approach them. They have taken introductory mechanics and are having difficulty with the problems. They are asking for help with one particular problem.
bit188
Hey, self-studying, I've just started into Marion's Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, and I'm having major issues with the problems; I don't even have any idea where to start. I was wondering if somebody would be willing to give some general advice and maybe go through a couple of them with me?

Here's a problem:

A particle is projected with an initial velocity v0 up a slope which makes an angle (alpha) with the horizontal. Assume frictionless motion and find the time required for the particle to return to its starting position.

EDIT: Sorry! Missed the homework forum...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much physics have you taken?

cyrusabdollahi said:
How much physics have you taken?

Previously? I'd done introductory mechanics. I guess this is the next step?

You can do it, but its going to be painful :smile:.

Have you taken any classes in statics or dynamics?

cyrusabdollahi said:
You can do it, but its going to be painful :smile:.

Ah hah hah...:frown:

Pointers? Advice? Thanks!

cyrusabdollahi said:
Have you taken any classes in statics or dynamics?

No classes. All self-teaching, I'm far far too young to be allowed in classes...

Just work through it and ask questions I guess. How old are you? This book is for seniors/grad students. Its going to assume you know a lot of background material.

Between 12 and 14. XD

Background material, I assumed, was introductory mechanics... anything else I should do for prereqs?

calculus 1,2,3. Ode's, some linear algebra, and statics and dynamics.

How is your math background?

Calc 1-3, that's all. I have some books on linear algebra and odes, though.

Statics and dynamics? What's that all about?

Statics is a course on, statics. :tongue2: You should know this from your mechanics course.

Given your background, I think you could read through the book you have. But it will still be tough unless you have some experience with statics and dynamics.

Ah... well, I guess I'll give it a try. Could you help me with that problem I posted?

Thanks for your help!

I am going to take a very quick stab at it but it might be wrong.

Draw a free body diagram along the incline with all the forces labeled on the particle. You will have gravity acting down, and it will be the only force. Then find the component in the direction opposing motion. Once you do this, write your equations of motion and solve them given your initial conditions.

I got this as the final answer:

[tex] t= \frac{v_0}{2gsin(\alpha)} [/tex]

Edit: I had the fraction inverted by accident.

Do you know what the answer is?

Last edited:
It's the equations of motion that get me. XD

Show some work. What are you doing/getting?

Actually, my main issue is that I have no idea how to begin or what the heck to do. I was hoping for some general advice on starting a problem and what to do?

Sorry, and thank you. This is going to be tough, but I know that I can do this if I work at it.

For a book of this level, I can't teach you how to write the equations of motion. You have to do that on your own. If you cant, going through this book is going to be hopeless. This book isn't going to hold your hand, so expect things to get a LOT worse than this simple problem.

Write the equations of motion for starters.

Lets be clear, you are reading https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534408966/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book, yes?

Last edited by a moderator:
F = ma = m(dv/dt) = mv0cos(alpha) + mv0sin(alpha)

Is that right?

Almost, those v_0 are wrong, and you have sign errors.

Break velocity into horizontal/vertical components--

v0x = v0 cos x
v0y = v0 sin y

Then compute derivative for acceleration--

ax = -sin x
ay = cos y

F = ma = -m sin x + m cos y

Is that right?

Velocity components have nothing to do with force balance-velocity is not a force.

You need to use a body fixed coordinate system, not an absolute coordinate system. The x-direction should be pointing up the incline, not horizontally and to the right as your thinking.

Also: this is incorrect and written incorrectly as well:

F = ma = -m sin x + m cos y

F is a vector, everything you do in this book will be for a vector from now on.

F=ma=-msinx (i) + 0(j) + m cosy(k) (This is not correct, but the vector notation is).

If you are struggling with this, I would recommend that you read https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131411675/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book first on statics.

You will learn more about vectors, how to do force balance, moment of inertia etc. Your basics right now are too weak for the book your using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything online I can use instead?

Plus, could you show me how you worked the problem? Maybe I could get the hang of this, possibly?

Oh, and the vector notation was just a screw-up... I always forget to put in the unit vectors... @_@;;

Last edited:
I recommend you use those books.

If you need help doing simple force balance, trust me, you are not yet ready to dive into this book.

Okay. Thank you, I will!

I'll be back if I need help once I get these books. Thanks so much.

I'll keep going in math as well, I'll be starting into ODEs now. Thanks again!

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation, as described by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by a net force, and that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Additionally, classical mechanics also includes the law of conservation of energy and the law of conservation of momentum.

What are some practical applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as understanding the motion of objects on Earth, designing structures and machines, and predicting the behavior of celestial bodies. It is also the basis for many other branches of physics, including thermodynamics and electromagnetism.

How does classical mechanics differ from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics and quantum mechanics are two different theories used to explain the behavior of matter and energy. Classical mechanics describes the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles. Additionally, classical mechanics is based on deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics includes probabilistic outcomes.

What are some key concepts in classical mechanics?

Some key concepts in classical mechanics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, mass, energy, and momentum. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in various situations, such as free fall, circular motion, and projectile motion.