How Can I Measure Fluid Level Without Sensors Using Electronics?

• Thread starter theecoop
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a beginner in electronics and is seeking help to learn. They have come up with a project idea to measure fluid levels without using sensors inside the liquid. They have listed the components they plan to use and are seeking assistance to ensure they are on the right track. The ultimate goal is to measure fuel in an ultralight gas tank while flying. They have also been advised to focus on finding a reliable sensor before proceeding with the project. The speaker has since completed the project.
theecoop
Hello
I'm new to electronics and trying to learn. I thought the best way for me is to watch videos on youtube and ask questions from some more knowledgeable people than me on the subject.

That being said, I want to try what I believe to be a simple project.
I want to measure the fluid level of a plastic cup without having any sensors inside the liquid.
Help me out if if you see were I might be falling off the wagon per say.

1 - small 2 x 4 in board
1 - LM339N IC Quad Diff comparator 14 dip
4 - led
1 - push button NO
1 - Potentiometer (size unknown)
several resisters (size unknown)
2 -copper contact pads

any help in this would be greatly appriciated.
What I am trying to make this for is to measure the fuel in my ultralight gas tank.
which is out of sight while flying.
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework problem - what have you tried / thought about so far.

first I thought I would get a breadboard,and the components listed above and do some testing. just wanting to see if I am on the right track,or if their maybe a component that would be needed or some other knowledge I am not thinking of

You want to do what ?
Measure fluid in a cup or the gas level in a tank ?

All your trouble is the sensor. Do you know what sensor you will use yet ?
Once you have a reliable (mechanically and electrically) sensor, the rest is easy.

Got it all sorted and done. Thanks

1. What are the basic components needed to start learning electronics?

The basic components needed to start learning electronics include a breadboard, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, jumper wires, and a power source such as a battery or power supply.

2. What resources are available for beginners to learn about electronics?

There are tons of resources available for beginners to learn about electronics, such as online tutorials, books, and workshops. Some popular websites for learning electronics include SparkFun, Adafruit, and All About Circuits.

3. How can I practice and apply what I learn about electronics?

One way to practice and apply what you learn about electronics is by completing hands-on projects. You can find project ideas online or in books, or come up with your own ideas. Another way is to join a local electronics club or maker space where you can collaborate and learn from others.

4. What is the best way to troubleshoot electronic circuits?

The best way to troubleshoot electronic circuits is by using a systematic approach. Start by checking all connections and making sure components are properly connected. Then use a multimeter to test for voltage, current, and continuity. If the problem persists, try replacing components one at a time until the issue is resolved.

5. How can I stay safe while working with electronics?

To stay safe while working with electronics, always disconnect the power source before making any adjustments or repairs. Wear safety glasses and appropriate protective gear. Make sure your work area is well-ventilated and free of clutter. And always follow the instructions and safety precautions outlined in your resources or by experienced individuals.