Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to Engineering, I need help.

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am interested in robotics and engineering but since I live in a place like korea, I don't have a garage or access to cheap scrap metal. I am going to join the engineering club at my school. I want to pick up a book something like engineering 101 or robotics for dummies, but I couldn't find it. Could someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2
    Welcome to the forums! It's good to see that you have so much enthusiasm about Engineering!
    Personally, I learn a bit better when I do a hands-on approach rather than reading a "for dummies" book. I suggest picking up a small kit for robotics, something very simple to start with.
    http://www.solarbotics.com/product/k_ss/

This looks like a good choice for a new student and is cheap. keep in mind that this is a very simple solar-powered cart that just moves forward, but it will teach you a lot about how to make a simple machine.
    Just because you're a mechanical engineer, it doesn't mean you have to own a machine-shop and make carbon-fiber quadrotors right out of the gate. Give it some time! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook