Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to Feynman Path Integral

1. Mar 8, 2004 #1
    I am pretty new to the subject and hope someone can give me certain links to start off.

We can express the time evolutions of a quantum mechanical state of a system as :
    |psi(Xf,T)> = Gv(Xf,T;X0,0) |psi(X0,0)>

Now Gv can be expressed as a discretized Feynman Path integral which comes out to be a pretty complex integral (equation 4 in attached file). I am unable to understand as to how should I code a program to calulate this integral. any ideas!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2004 #2
    An excellent exposition of path integrals is available in Anthony Zee's book, Qyuantum Field Theory in a Nutshell.

4. Mar 23, 2004 #3
    I would suggest looking up Monte Carlo integration in a computational physics book, for example, Rubin Landau's or David Cook's.

5. Apr 9, 2004 #4
    some solution but...

I found an easy approach to calulate the Feynman propogator using Feynman path integral approach. Interested users can refer to paper titled:

"Three Methods for calculating the Feynman Propogator" by
    F.A.Barone

However I now have one question. In this paper the feynman path was calulated using lagrangian for a quantum oscillator. Could anyone tell me how practical can this turn out to be. For e.g. can we make measurements of a state of a quantum oscillator. If we can then I think we should be able to use this approach to predict the output or make some sort of quantum gates. I haven't fully formalise if anything like this is possible. Maybe someone can tell me if this can be feasible at all or am I missing out some crucial point.

TIA

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?