Is Hanging Buried Jelly Filled Cable Overhead on an Electric Pole Safe?

• Thread starter JDWOLF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, Jim is a Telecommunications engineer who has a customer experiencing static charges and low voltage spikes due to a buried jelly filled cable being hung overhead on an electrical pole. He disagrees with the company who hung the cable and is looking for a document explaining why this type of installation is not recommended. He is considering contacting the building inspectors for assistance.
JDWOLF
Hello,
My name is Jim and I found this forum through yahoo search engine. I am a Telecommunications engineer and I have a bit of a problem. I am 99% sure I am right on this but wanted to ask some experts please.

I have a customer who decided to go a cheapr route and have buried jelly filled cable ran overhead outside using an electrical pole (50k servicing a hospital and surrounding offices, homes etc etc)

The "buried jelly filled" hung cable is not grounded on the pole and we are suffering static charges/ low voltage spikes that is taking equipment out whenever bad weather or high winds occur.

The company who hung the cable stated the buried could be in ground or overhead, didn't matter? I am leaning to disagreeing with them as I put a stop point between the cable and the phone switch. When the customer "pulls the plug" on the cable they have suffered no interuption of service.

I have been looking for a document that explains the "why you don't hang buried-jelly filled cable overhead on a electric pole with that much power running through it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help is so truly appreciated.
Jim

Engineering news on Phys.org

What does "New to group" mean?

"New to group" refers to someone who has recently joined a group or team. They may be unfamiliar with the group's dynamics, processes, and members.

What should I do if I am "New to group"?

If you are new to a group, it is important to introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members. You can also ask questions to understand the group's goals and expectations. It's also helpful to observe how the group interacts and operates before jumping in.

How can I contribute as someone who is "New to group"?

As a new member, you can contribute by bringing fresh ideas, perspectives, and skills to the group. You can also offer to help with tasks and projects, and actively participate in discussions and meetings. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts and opinions, and always be open to learning from others.

What does it mean when someone says "please" in a group setting?

Saying "please" is a polite way of making a request or asking for something in a group setting. It shows respect and consideration for others' time and efforts. Additionally, using "please" can help create a positive and collaborative atmosphere within the group.

How can I use "please" effectively in a group setting?

Using "please" effectively means being sincere and genuine in your tone and words. It's also important to make sure your request is reasonable and considerate of others. Additionally, remember to say "thank you" when someone fulfills your request. This can help foster a positive and respectful group dynamic.