Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to here and New to Programming

1. Apr 27, 2004 #1
    hey all im just woundering if this place would be a great soure to get help in progamming like Java and HTML codes??

I just join here because i notice there a place where i might able to get help when i need it

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Welcome to PF.

There is already a thread where chroot is teaching java. You can find it here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=18660

There is also a thread dedicated to programming resources here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15689

If you want an html reference sheet you can find it here:

[edit] Whoops, wrong link. Here is the one I wanted to post:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/

If you have have any futher questions please feel free to post.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  4. Apr 27, 2004 #3
    Thanks dduardo for giving an idea where i could help

5. May 3, 2004 #4
    dduardo, do you know a site for learning Visual Basic?

6. May 3, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

7. May 4, 2004 #6
    Well someone told me Visual Basic was really powerful, better than C++ so I was just curious. I'm learning C++ from self-help books at the moment.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best (overall in terms of speed and level of difficulty) a language can be, how would you rate C++, Javascript, Visual Basic, Perl and other languages?

8. May 4, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Visual Basic is not powerful at all. It's a very high-level language used to make very simple programs, or to act as glue between programs. It's slow, interpreted, and loosely-typed. C++ is a more useful language to learn in every respect, though it is much more difficult.

In terms of speed, I'd say: C++ is a 9 (second only to C, which is a 10), Java and Perl are both 7's, Visual Basic is a 4, and JavaScript is a 2. Keep in mind that JavaScript is used for web browsers and as is not in any respect a general-purpose language.

In terms of ease of programming: Visual Basic is an 9, JavaScript is a 8, C is a 7, C++ and Java are a 5, Perl is a 5 also.

Your mileage may vary.

- Warren

9. May 5, 2004 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'm not sure but IIRC, VB is the one that most anti-virus programs won't let you run. VB is notorious as a trojan language.

10. May 19, 2004 #9
    No, Codeguru seems a much, much better place. Don't get me wrong, this forum is a great place for math and physics questions.

11. May 20, 2004 #10
    I think this is the best link of all
    http://www.vbulletin.com/links.php?catid=2
    Take the one you like most. But keep in mind that it is still under control of vbulletin.
    Keywords "web programming" "web development" "C C++ discussion boards :wink: :wink:" will give you a bunch of different links for you to make yourself a choice.
    If you like codeguru, I advise you to have some hands-on experience in coding techniques, and know how to *stiffen* yourself and especially you shouldn't forget to make your questions as clearly as possible so that your code can get *fixed*.

I don't quite travel around the net as much as many web developing guys do to "hook up" people following me but here is a site i think is good for you to post your questions and as many other honest guys, i hope your need will get fitted in there http://www.nerdbrains.com/ or http://forums.devshed.com/ which is a codeguru's sister.

I usually stay in *programming talk* to learn php web programming. If you think you like it, join in!

BTW, what is your problem about java and html ? If you don't care to share.
    I think no one will misunderstand you or anyone if they agree to make their questions much clearer.

HTH.

12. May 21, 2004 #11
    Like it says in one of the links provided by Dduardo - links are available there.

How dare you!

Do VB.net instead. Microsoft will probably ditch VB soon.

13. May 21, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dagenais:

Visual Basic is a niche language with a lot of serious limitations. Anyone would be better off learning a more capable (and less proprietary) language.

- Warren

14. May 21, 2004 #13
    All languages are niche languages.

Still, I wouldn't recommend learning Visual Basic. It's too strongly tied to a single platform and isn't particularly expressive. VB.net is a much better language, but it still isn't a good choice for learning on (and it still suffers the same problem of being tied to a single platform).

15. May 21, 2004 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C is hardly a niche language.

- Warren

16. May 21, 2004 #15
    C is great for any situation where you need as little overhead from the language as possible.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from trying to do everything in C. When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. But that doesn't mean it's not a niche language.

17. May 21, 2004 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can code nearly any program in C -- not necessarily as easily as in another language, however, but that doesn't matter. It is capable of virtually any project, thus it is not a niche language. On the other hand, there are many languages which have only limited applicability -- VB, MATLAB, etc. are examples. There are many projects which are simply not possible in those languages, and therefore they are niche languages.

Unless you want to debate the definition of 'niche.' I, for one, really don't.

- Warren

18. May 21, 2004 #17
    Nearly anything you can do in C you can do in almost any language, including Visual Basic. That fact that you can do something with a language doesn't really mean much. It's what you can do well with a language that counts.

Every language is good a some things and bad at others (or in some cases, just bad at everything). Some languages are good for learning to program with. Some are not. As a first language, I wouldn't recommend learning C or C++ or Java.

It's a great idea to learn them, but to use those languages you have to learn quite a bit about the language itself. This interferes with the process of learning how to program, which really has nothing to do with learning a particular language.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?