New to mathematica, some basic help needed

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter cell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and statistical computations, data analysis, visualization, and programming. It is commonly used in scientific research, engineering, and education. To input and manipulate data, you can use the "Enter" key or the "=" sign to assign values to variables. You can also use built-in functions or create your own functions, as well as the Manipulate function for interactive graphics and animations. To plot graphs and charts, you can use the Plot or ListPlot functions and customize their appearance. Mathematica also allows for symbolic calculations, such as solving equations and simplifying expressions, using built-in functions like Solve, Integrate, and Simplify. To improve your skills in Mathematica, you can
cell
Hello,
I'm just testing out mathematica for the first time. I was hoping someone could help me make sense of this input (see attached screenshot). I'm sure I'll be running into more peculiarities as I get more comfortable with the software, Ill post them in this thread as the pop up.
Help much appreciated.
Cell

Attachments

• mathematica.PNG
    mathematica.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I see now, it treated xy as one variable

1. What is Mathematica and what is it used for?

Mathematica is a software program used for mathematical and statistical computations, data analysis, visualization, and programming. It is commonly used in scientific research, engineering, and education.

2. How do I input and manipulate data in Mathematica?

To input data, you can use the "Enter" key or the "=" sign to assign a value to a variable. To manipulate data, you can use built-in functions or create your own functions. You can also use the Manipulate function to create interactive graphics and animations.

3. How do I plot graphs and charts in Mathematica?

To plot a graph or chart, you can use the Plot or ListPlot functions, depending on the type of data you have. You can also customize the appearance of your plots by changing the color, style, and labels.

4. Can I perform symbolic calculations in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of performing symbolic calculations, such as solving equations, integrating functions, and simplifying expressions. You can use the built-in functions like Solve, Integrate, and Simplify.

5. How can I learn more about Mathematica and improve my skills?

There are many resources available to help you learn and improve your skills in Mathematica. You can start by exploring the built-in documentation and tutorials within the software. You can also join online communities and forums, attend workshops and conferences, or take online courses.