New to Physics Forum and would like some help with concepts

In summary: Find F by dividing the weight (W) by the distance (D). Hi everyone,I'm having some issues understanding how to approach (conceptually) a problemwhere there is a box with a ramp with static friction. The scenarios that are problematic to meare when you are pushing with a force horizontally and perpendicular to the surface.It's not a homework problem so it's why I thought it would be appropriate here.Thanks everyoneIn summary, you are having trouble understanding how to solve a problem where you are applying a force to a block with static friction. You need to be able to set up the F=ma equation, figure out the forces acting on the object, and solve
seekheart
Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues understanding how to approach (conceptually) a problem
where there is a box with a ramp with static friction. The scenarios that are problematic to me
are when you are pushing with a force horizontally and perpendicular to the surface.
It's not a homework problem so it's why I thought it would be appropriate here.

Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
seekheart said:
Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues understanding how to approach (conceptually) a problem
where there is a box with a ramp with static friction. The scenarios that are problematic to me
are when you are pushing with a force horizontally and perpendicular to the surface.
It's not a homework problem so it's why I thought it would be appropriate here.

Thanks everyone

This is very vague. You described the scenario, but did not describe what and where exactly you are having such a problem. What exactly is the issue here?

You may end up needing to go to the HW/Courswork forum, and present a typical HW question that you got stuck in.

Zz.

My issue is just how to do this type of problem when you want to find the force applied on the block.

Draw a free body diagram, figure out the forces acting on the body, use Newton's laws.

seekheart said:
My issue is just how to do this type of problem when you want to find the force applied on the block.

You may find it usefull to break your forces into componets that are perpendicular and parrallel to the surface of the ramp. ie for the force of gravity use mgsin(theta) where theta is the angle of the ramp

As johng23 said, you need to be able to draw a free body diagram showing the forces. That's Step 1 in solving most of these problems. Make sure you account for all of the forces that are present (gravitational, normal force, friction, rope tension, or any applied forces).

Step 2 would be to set up the F=ma equations. Decide on directions for x and y -- usually x is taken to be along the surface that a given object is resting on or moving along. Then you can write up to two equations for each object in the problem:
ƩFx = m ax
ƩFy = m ay
Most forces will be in either the x or y direction. For forces acting at an angle, you'll need to write the force in terms of it's x and y components.

You'll also need to figure out -- usually from the wording of problem statement -- whether you can set ax or ay to zero or not.

Step 3, after you set up the F=ma equations, is to work through the algebra and solve the problem.

EDIT:
A possible complication happens when there is more than one object in the problem. There is usually some kind of relation between the accelerations of the two -- or possibly more -- objects. Objects that move together have the same acceleration. It's also fairly common, in a certain type of pulley arrangement, that one object has twice the acceleration of another. You'll need to figure out if that is the case.

Last edited:
First find the components of the forces perpendicular and parallel to the plane. Do this using trigonometry, with the force as the hypotenuse of the triangle. If you want the friction, F=μR. μ is the friction coefficient between the surfaces, which is usually between 0.05 and 1, depending on how slippery the surface is. The reaction force should be equal to the component of weight perpendicular to gravity.

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics concepts on the Physics Forum?

The best way to approach learning physics concepts on the Physics Forum is to start by familiarizing yourself with the forum layout and guidelines. Then, browse through the different categories and threads to see what topics are being discussed. You can also use the search function to find specific topics or questions that you may have. It's important to read through previous discussions and responses to gain a better understanding of the concepts.

2. How can I ask questions effectively on the Physics Forum?

When asking a question on the Physics Forum, be sure to provide enough background information and context so that others can understand your question and provide accurate responses. It's also helpful to be specific and concise in your question, and to use proper terminology and equations when applicable. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification if needed.

3. Are there any resources or tools available on the Physics Forum to help with learning concepts?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available on the Physics Forum to aid in learning concepts. These include online textbooks, interactive simulations, and helpful study guides. You can also ask for recommendations from other forum users on helpful resources for specific topics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of difficult physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of difficult physics concepts is to engage in discussions and debates with other forum users. This allows for different perspectives and explanations to be presented, which can aid in your understanding. You can also try teaching the concept to someone else, as this can help solidify your own understanding.

5. Are there any tips for effectively studying and retaining physics concepts?

Some tips for effective studying and retaining physics concepts include practicing problems, using flashcards to memorize equations and formulas, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and participating in discussions. It's also important to take breaks and avoid cramming, as this can lead to burnout and hinder retention.