New to physics need a lil help

• Thread starter LostPuppy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to physics and is looking for a good learning site to catch up on concepts. They mention how adding vectors doesn't make sense to them and ask if it's necessary to have taken physics in high school before taking it in university. The conversation also touches on the lack of physics education in some schools and the importance of English in university. One person suggests Hyper Physics as a helpful site and another jokes about the lack of proper grammar on the internet. The original poster mentions their major in biology and biotechnology and their familiarity with informal language due to years of online communication.
LostPuppy
Hey , I'm really new to physics , in the sense I've never taken it before but now that I'm in university i have too, i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good learning site so i can catch up and grasp all these concepts that don't seem to add up math sytles but for some odd reason make sense in the physics world, like adding vectors , that just doesn't make sense to me.

thanks for any help you can give...

Physics news on Phys.org
Wel... PF is a good learning site. :wink: Welcome.

Do you have any specific queries? Any areas of particular vagueness?

Don't you have to take Physics in high school before you can take University level physics? I'd think it would be quite hard to make such a big jump without having knowledge or atleast sufficient knowledge of the basics which you learn in high school.

No, unfortunately there are many places where physics is not required in secondary school. There are even places where physics is not even OFFERED but don't get me started on this.

I would think that, in the United Kingdom, English would be required for entrance into the university and "LostPuppy" seems a bit weak on that too!

Yeah, LostPuppy, that's one hell of a long sentence you got there. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help guys...

and no i didn't need physics in high school , but i have to take it in university. my major is biology and biotechnology.

as for grammer, its the internet, who uses proper grammer?

lol sorry that's what years of ICQ , MSN , and bloging will do to you.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. What are some key concepts in physics?

Some key concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, and thermodynamics. Other important topics include electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is physics used in everyday life?

Physics is used in many aspects of everyday life, from the technology we use to the laws that govern the natural world. Some examples include the creation of electricity, the functioning of machines, and the understanding of weather patterns.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for geniuses or math experts. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic principles of physics. Another misconception is that physics only deals with theoretical concepts, when in fact it has many practical applications in various fields.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You can also read textbooks, watch educational videos, and attend lectures or workshops. Additionally, conducting experiments and hands-on activities can help solidify your understanding of key concepts. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.