New to physics. with some solutions

• Thread starter ford f100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation involved someone trying to learn physics on their own and asking for help with two problems. The first problem is overdetermined and has no solution, while the second problem involves finding the mass of a roast using the equation U = mgh. The conversation also includes a reminder for providing equations only after the OP has made an attempt at solving the problem.
ford f100
Hello. I am trying to learn physics on my own. I have always thought it was a neat thing.

I am wondering if you could show me how to do these solutions. I can't figure it out.

#1 A cyclist (total mass of 68kg including the bike) traveling initially at 6.5m/s slams on the brakes and skids to a stop in 9.4m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the trail is 0.93

a) Calculate the magnitude of the force of kinetic friction
b) Calculate the work done by the force of friction during the skid

#2 A roast in a refrigerators freezer compartment has a potential energy of 35J relative to the floor if the roast is 1.7m above the ground what is the mass of the roast?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ford f100 said:
#2 A roast in a refrigerators freezer compartment has a potential energy of 35J relative to the floor if the roast is 1.7m above the ground what is the mass of the roast?

Thanks

You can use this equation.

U = mgh

U=35J
g=10m/s2
h=1.7m
From this you can get m = .....

Ok thanks so the answer would be 5.95kg?

ford f100 said:
#1 A cyclist (total mass of 68kg including the bike) traveling initially at 6.5m/s slams on the brakes and skids to a stop in 9.4m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the trail is 0.93

a) Calculate the magnitude of the force of kinetic friction
b) Calculate the work done by the force of friction during the skid
You can use ##F=ma## and the kinematic equations here.(The equation involving initial speed, final speed, distance and acceleration. Find the acceleration and then find the force acted.)

ford f100 said:
Ok thanks so the answer would be 5.95kg?
Thanks
No. Show the working.

Problem #1 is overdetermined - that means it has more data than needed and the given data is not self consistent so it has no solution.

dauto said:
Problem #1 is overdetermined - that means it has more data than needed and the given data is not self consistent so it has no solution.

Nice catch. We can still pretend it's on, say planet x, and has a different gravitational acceleration.

Try and find the acceleration first using kinematic equations like

##(V_f)^2 =(V_i)^2 + 2a (Δx)##

##\Delta x =V_i \Delta t + \frac {1}{2} a (\Delta t)^2 ##

##V_i = V_f +a \Delta t ##

Last edited:
dauto said:

That depends what you assume. The question doesn't say both wheels were locked in the skid. If the bike only has brakes on one wheel, you can calculate the fraction of the bike's weight that is acting on that wheel.

Moderator's note -- READ THIS

Please stop providing equations until after the OP has posted an attempt, including work, toward solving the problem.

Learning physics by self-study is to be encouraged and even admired, but please remember our usual guidelines for "homework" help apply to self-study as well.

Redbelly98 said:
Moderator's note -- READ THIS

Please stop providing equations until after the OP has posted an attempt, including work, toward solving the problem.

Learning physics by self-study is to be encouraged and even admired, but please remember our usual guidelines for "homework" help apply to self-study as well.

Oh sorry I thought it would be ok considering he seemed to have made an attempt.

Noted for the future

No worries. :smile: There was an attempt on question #2, but not on #1.

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics?

The best way to approach learning physics is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation in fundamental concepts. This includes understanding mathematical principles, such as algebra and calculus, as well as familiarizing yourself with key physical laws and theories. It is also important to actively engage with the material and practice problem-solving regularly.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

One effective way to improve your understanding of complex physics concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve creating diagrams or visual aids to help visualize the concepts, or using real-world examples to make the concepts more relatable. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

3. What resources are available for self-study in physics?

There are many resources available for self-study in physics, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Additionally, there are various educational websites and YouTube channels that offer free tutorials and explanations on various physics topics. It is also helpful to utilize online forums and discussion boards to connect with other learners and ask questions.

4. How can I prepare for exams in physics?

To prepare for exams in physics, it is important to review and practice regularly throughout the semester rather than cramming right before the exam. Make sure to understand key concepts and how to apply them to solve problems. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to aid in memorizing important formulas and equations.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in physics?

A background in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academic or industrial settings, engineering roles, and teaching positions. Many companies also value the critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are developed through studying physics, making it a versatile degree for various industries.