1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to Physics - Question Help!

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    Hey,
    I'm taking physics as a learn-at-home kinda course to get into school for electrical. I had a question about some of the logic and reason behind what the book is showing me as it doesn't explain much. The example question they gave is as follows:

Determine the weight of a 65kg student on earth( g= 9.8m/s2 [down]).

Given - g= 9.8m/s2 [down]
    m = 65kg

Required - Fg=?

Equation - Fg = mg

Solution - Fg = (65kg)(9.8ms2)
    Fg = 637N
    Fg = 6.4 x 102N

More or less I wanted to know why the 637N was broken up to 6.4 x 102 and how I would go about extrapolating this from every question I come across from now on.

Any info is appreciated, I am new to physics and suck at math in general....

p.s. the g's in the equation should have an arrow pointing to the right over them but I have no clue how to write that on this thing...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    Its just a convention man..more applicable for bigger numbers...like you can write 10000000 or 10^7 they would mean the same thing...its just for the ease of writing

4. May 2, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They are just expressing the weight using scientific or exponential notation. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_notation" [Broken]) Note that they rounded off the answer to 2 significant figures instead of 3, which is more realistic since you only have the mass to 2 significant figures.

While the acceleration is a vector, which you could express using that arrow notation, g itself is just the quantity 9.8 m/s^2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook