What is the Mass and Weight of a Truck Accelerating with Newton's Second Law?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics problem involving Newton's second law. They are given a formula and are asked to find the mass and weight of a truck based on the given information of force, acceleration, and time. The expert summarizes that the person needs to use the equation f=m a to find the mass and use the equation F=m g to find the weight. The person is also reminded that acceleration is given by a=\frac{v}{t}. The conversation ends with the person successfully finding the acceleration and solving the problem.
BSBarb
I'm new to physics, and would like a little help in solving this problem.

I am in a problem with Newton's second law...the formula is Force = Mass times Acceleration.

The problem states: A truck produces a force of 100 N as it accelerates from 5 m s to 10 m s in 5 seconds. What is the Mass of the truck, and what is the weight of the truck?

I can't seem to understand how to find the acceleration and the weight.

Can someone help me?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so you obviously know that you'll be needing [tex]f=m a[/tex] for this one. You want the mass, it gives you the force directly, the only thing that YOU need to figure out is the acceleration.

Remember that acceleration is given by the equation [tex]a=\frac{v}{t}[/tex]

You are given the change in velocity in the question (from 5m/s to 10m/s) and you also know the time it takes. Simply plug all those values into the equation and you should be able to solve for Mass.After that, you should know by now that 'weight' is given by [tex]F=m g[/tex] where g is the acceleration due to gravity [tex]9.81 \frac {m}{s^2}[/tex] Just solve for F!

thanks for gettn back so quickly
so would the equation to find the acceleration be

10m/s-5/ms divided by 5 sec

yup, that's exactly right! So it would end up just being [tex]1 \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

from there you shouldn't have had any more problems

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world and how these can be applied to explain and predict the behavior of objects and phenomena.

Why should I learn physics?

Physics is a fundamental science that is essential for understanding the natural world around us. It helps us to explain and predict the behavior of objects and phenomena, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

What topics will I learn in physics this year?

In your first year of physics, you will likely cover topics such as mechanics (the study of motion and forces), thermodynamics (the study of heat and energy), electromagnetism (the study of electricity and magnetism), and waves and optics (the study of light and sound).

What skills do I need to excel in physics?

To excel in physics, you will need strong mathematical skills, critical thinking abilities, and a willingness to learn and experiment. It is also important to have a solid foundation in basic physics concepts and principles, as well as good problem-solving skills.

What can I do with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research, teaching, engineering, and technology. It can also provide a strong foundation for further studies in fields such as astronomy, geology, and medicine.