1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to physics

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    Hey all,
    This is my first year taking a real physics class and so far it's been fun. The class is AP-Physics B and it is algebra/trig based. I was wondering if i could get some tips from the pros at how to be better at physics, and maybe what materials should i buy to assist me on my learning journey.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    Hello,

As your first physics class it's probably best to focus on understanding the concepts. Make sure you can apply them in different ways to different situations too. Also it's good to make sure you have a good grasp over the mathematics that is involved. Even though math is just a tool we use it's just as important as understanding the concepts, and you could even say the two ideas are essentially intertwined.

If you all ready understand the material pretty well you might want to start to learn calculus to prepare you for more advanced physics. An excellent intro calculus-based physics book is Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick, Walker which I highly suggest getting if you are able to learn some calculus.

Some other books that are good for learning are:
    -Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman (He'll make you see physics in an entirely different way)
    -Six Not-So-Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman
    -A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook