Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to the forum

1. Jul 28, 2004 #1
    : :shy: Hello everyone my name is Toya and I am new to this forum. I am taking a General Physics course in september at the college that I attend, and I was wondering what to expect? Furthermore, I have received several different experiences from friends and fellow classmates at my school. I have never been good at math, but I have liked science ever since I can remember. If anyone can share some wonderful or horrific experiences with their Physics courses that would be helpful and informative.

Thanks,
    Toya

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2004 #2
    Hello toya
    as a past physics student who was also not very good at maths i strongly recommend you improove your maths because this will help you understand physics alot easier.
    You will also find that by understanding you will get more fulfiment from this subject.
    There are a lot of wonderful experiences in physics but as for horrific I have never encountered any. needless to say I have had plenty of set backs.
    P.S never be afraid to ask for help, there are alot of clever people on this forum who would only be too willing to answer your questions
    good luck

4. Jul 28, 2004 #3
    Welcome to the forum.
    As a Physics teacher, I tend to find that those that have an open mind and are keen to learn can accomplish much, no matter what their innate ability is. Make sure you read around the subject, don't be afraid to ask for help (this forum is good for that!) and persevere.

Don't be put off by the Math (or Maths as we say here in England) as with practise, you'll cope. If you worry about it and decide that you 'can't do it', then you never will.

Typical 'boring teacher' advice I know, but valid nonetheless. Enjoy your course!

5. Jul 28, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Toya - welcome to PF. I think you'll really enjoy the physics class. For any problems you get stuck on, I highly recommend the homework help section of this site. There's always someone around who's willing to lend a hand.

6. Jul 28, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the way, I took a General Physics class last quarter and my biggest complaint is that there wasn't ENOUGH math in it.
    I did have a very entertaining professor who did demonstrations for us every single class. I really enjoyed his lectures, and I think it was probably one of the most fun classes I have ever taken. Hope you will get a teacher like him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?