New to Forum - Toya Seeks Advice on Physics Course

• Thread starter Toya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary: Hello Toya,There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as everyone's experience with physics will be different. However, if you're looking for some general advice, here are a few things to keep in mind: 1. Make sure you understand the concepts in the class, as this will help you to better understand the material.2. Try to be enthusiastic about the class – if you are engaged in the class, it will be easier for you to learn.3. Make use of the resources available to you – there are usually online resources available to help you with the material.Good luck in your physics course!In summary, Toya is a new
Toya
: :shy: Hello everyone my name is Toya and I am new to this forum. I am taking a General Physics course in september at the college that I attend, and I was wondering what to expect? Furthermore, I have received several different experiences from friends and fellow classmates at my school. I have never been good at math, but I have liked science ever since I can remember. If anyone can share some wonderful or horrific experiences with their Physics courses that would be helpful and informative.

Thanks,
Toya

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello toya
as a past physics student who was also not very good at maths i strongly recommend you improove your maths because this will help you understand physics a lot easier.
You will also find that by understanding you will get more fulfiment from this subject.
There are a lot of wonderful experiences in physics but as for horrific I have never encountered any. needless to say I have had plenty of set backs.
P.S never be afraid to ask for help, there are a lot of clever people on this forum who would only be too willing to answer your questions
good luck

Welcome to the forum.
As a Physics teacher, I tend to find that those that have an open mind and are keen to learn can accomplish much, no matter what their innate ability is. Make sure you read around the subject, don't be afraid to ask for help (this forum is good for that!) and persevere.

Don't be put off by the Math (or Maths as we say here in England) as with practise, you'll cope. If you worry about it and decide that you 'can't do it', then you never will.

Typical 'boring teacher' advice I know, but valid nonetheless. Enjoy your course!

Hi Toya - welcome to PF. I think you'll really enjoy the physics class. For any problems you get stuck on, I highly recommend the homework help section of this site. There's always someone around who's willing to lend a hand.

By the way, I took a General Physics class last quarter and my biggest complaint is that there wasn't ENOUGH math in it.
I did have a very entertaining professor who did demonstrations for us every single class. I really enjoyed his lectures, and I think it was probably one of the most fun classes I have ever taken. Hope you will get a teacher like him.

1. What is the best way to approach a physics course as a new student?

The best way to approach a physics course as a new student is to start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and principles of physics. This can be done by reading introductory textbooks, watching online lectures, or attending introductory lectures. It is also important to actively engage in class discussions and practice problems to solidify your understanding.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics topics?

To improve your understanding of complex physics topics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your instructor or peers if you are struggling. You can also try breaking down the topic into smaller, more manageable chunks and working through each one individually before trying to put them all together.

3. What are some good study strategies for a physics course?

Some good study strategies for a physics course include creating flashcards, practicing problem-solving regularly, and summarizing key concepts in your own words. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and review course material together.

4. How can I prepare for exams in a physics course?

To prepare for exams in a physics course, it is important to review your notes and practice problems regularly throughout the semester. It can also be helpful to attend review sessions or seek help from your instructor if you are struggling with certain topics. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and eat well before exams to optimize your performance.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a physics course?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a physics course include neglecting to read the textbook or lecture notes, not practicing enough problems, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to manage your time effectively and not procrastinate on assignments or studying, as this can lead to falling behind and feeling overwhelmed.