New to the forums, trouble with an integral

• Thread starter jhayes25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a user asking for help with a homework problem involving an indefinite integral. Another user suggests using a trig identity to simplify the problem. The first user expresses gratitude and mentions that they should familiarize themselves with these identities for future problems.
jhayes25
Hello all, I am new to these forums. I'm having trouble with a problem on homework. It seems simple but it is giving me problems.

It is an indefinite integral: Integral of (Sin(2x))/(Sinx)dx

Is there a way to use substitution? Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{\sin{2x}}{\sin x}dx[/tex]

Use the trig identity.

[tex]\sin{2x}=2\sin x \cos x[/tex]

Use the identity:

[tex]sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

roco, that is correct. Obviously a newb, I have no idea how you did that. I'm sure there are stickies somewhere that I need to read.

Alright, wow that is simple when you now the identities. Guess i should get to learning those lol thanks awvvu

1. What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to calculate the total amount of a quantity, such as distance or volume, when we only know the rate of change of that quantity.

2. How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of the function being integrated and evaluating it at the limits of integration. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities.

3. What are the common mistakes made when solving integrals?

Common mistakes include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using incorrect limits of integration, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution and to be familiar with the rules of integration.

4. Can integrals be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, many software programs and calculators have built-in functions for solving integrals. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals.

5. Are there any tips for improving my skills in solving integrals?

Some tips for improving your skills in solving integrals include practicing regularly, familiarizing yourself with different techniques, and seeking help from tutors or online resources if you are having trouble. It is also helpful to review basic concepts in calculus such as derivatives and algebraic manipulation.