Top Sci-Fi TV Shows: Manifest, Legacies, A Discovery of Witches, and More!

• Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sci-fi
In summary: The Expanse is probably one of the best SciFi shows of recent years. It's a hard(er) SciFi show set in a heavily populated solar system with plenty of intrigue, political factions, great characters and cool spaceships. I have a feeling it will be this decade's BSG.Altered Carbon was a high-quality show (at least in terms of aesthetics) that was a good adaptation of the well regarded cyberpunk book. Featuring a typical dystopic future the plot revolves around a former terrorist/supersoldier resurrected into a new body to investigate the murder of an oligarch.Maniac currently on netflix is an interesting show where the 80s never seemed to end despite technology improving.
kiki_danc
What is the current sci-fi tv shows you are watching? I may miss something. I watch only:

1. Manifest
2. Legacies
3. Discovery of Witches.
4. Gifted
5. Salvation (season 2 finished)

I avoided the Flash, Arrow, DC Legends of Tomorrow, because after watching Thanos, they became quite pale in comparison.

Did I miss any good sci-fi tv series lately or shown recently? Can you mention them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's the new Star Trek (and the promise of an even newer one), and Dr Who : both watchable - and both marred by the hoopla having more substance than the series. I moved from comics to paperback novels at a (relatively) early age, so I'm missing too much of the DC/Marvel universes to automatically get sucked into orbit.

Mostly, I'm desperately awaiting the series based on Pratchett's Night Watch, and think 'Fantastic Beasts' would also be a good premise for a show.

Black Mirror.
Basically, Twilight Zone for the Digital Age.

Is it very well done, with believable real, human characters, and a fresh take on technology and our modern era.

Every episode stands on its own, like Twilight Zone, allowing each to explore the implications of technology without the burden of character, world or plot continuity.

Likes Lren Zvsm and Rubidium_71
kiki_danc said:
I avoided the Flash, ...
I tried to watch The Flash.

But all I could see was Sheldon Cooper going "ZZZZZOOM ZOOM ZOOMMMM!"
QuaintTerrificEarwig-size_restricted.gif

Attachments

• QuaintTerrificEarwig-size_restricted.gif
    QuaintTerrificEarwig-size_restricted.gif
    650.1 KB · Views: 1,521
Likes Rubidium_71 and davenn
DaveC426913 said:
I tried to watch The Flash.

But all I could see was Sheldon Cooper going "ZZZZZOOM ZOOM ZOOMMMM!"View attachment 233556

I want to focus on different sci-fi stories.. not get stuck on one.. I've read comic books about the Flash when little.. so we must outgrow it now. I wonder if Salvation would be renewed.. most of the leading ladies there are just so gorgeous.. lol. And the ending can make you think. What is that "meteor"?

The Expanse is probably one of the best SciFi shows of recent years. It's a hard(er) SciFi show set in a heavily populated solar system with plenty of intrigue, political factions, great characters and cool spaceships. I have a feeling it will be this decade's BSG.

Altered Carbon was a high-quality show (at least in terms of aesthetics) that was a good adaptation of the well regarded cyberpunk book. Featuring a typical dystopic future the plot revolves around a former terrorist/supersoldier resurrected into a new body to investigate the murder of an oligarch.

Maniac currently on netflix is an interesting show where the 80s never seemed to end despite technology improving. It's a bit cyberpunk, a bit psychedelic SciFi as the characters enrol in a clinical trial that uses mind-bending drugs, brain scanning machines and an advanced AI to explore their psyches.

Likes cpscdave and Howie BL
Ryan_m_b said:
The Expanse is probably one of the best SciFi shows of recent years. It's a hard(er) SciFi show set in a heavily populated solar system with plenty of intrigue, political factions, great characters and cool spaceships. I have a feeling it will be this decade's BSG.

Altered Carbon was a high-quality show (at least in terms of aesthetics) that was a good adaptation of the well regarded cyberpunk book. Featuring a typical dystopic future the plot revolves around a former terrorist/supersoldier resurrected into a new body to investigate the murder of an oligarch.

Maniac currently on netflix is an interesting show where the 80s never seemed to end despite technology improving. It's a bit cyberpunk, a bit psychedelic SciFi as the characters enrol in a clinical trial that uses mind-bending drugs, brain scanning machines and an advanced AI to explore their psyches.

I haven't encountered The Expanse and Maniac. I'm not subscribed to Netflix and didn't know about their sci-fi listings. So Maniac has Emma Stone who is one of my favoirites, so will watch the series this weekend. What else so I can prioritize those hot shows and hot stars.

Ryan_m_b said:

I stopped watching after 30 minutes of Maniac. Don't you find it so boring. I'll try Ghost Wars instead tonight. I want to see how Davedevil Fisk looks with hair... lol. Also I heard Travelers Season 3 would come in December. Good. I want TV sci-fi like Travelers or Gifted.. did I miss something like them?

kiki_danc said:
I stopped watching after 30 minutes of Maniac. Don't you find it so boring.

No I didn't find it boring. I found the start of the show quite intriguing for a few reasons; the fact that the world was full of modern (or near enough) practices and yet used technology either directly from the 80s or in the aesthetic of was really interesting. Things like people not having to pay money for goods and services so long as they consented to having someone read dozens of advertisement leaflets at them was both absurd and worryingly familiar. This happens a lot in the modern age, we don't think of it as weird because it's been normalised but by framing it in old fashioned techniques it challenges that acceptance.

I also found the characters very engaging, well acted and wanted to learn more about their lives. The idea of a clinical trial of a one-time psychological health treatment was also a draw.

Why did you find it boring? What types of things do you find interesting in SciFi shows? Rather than simply listing everything we've watched recently if you posted that information people could make better suggestions for you.

Ryan_m_b said:
No I didn't find it boring. I found the start of the show quite intriguing for a few reasons; the fact that the world was full of modern (or near enough) practices and yet used technology either directly from the 80s or in the aesthetic of was really interesting. Things like people not having to pay money for goods and services so long as they consented to having someone read dozens of advertisement leaflets at them was both absurd and worryingly familiar. This happens a lot in the modern age, we don't think of it as weird because it's been normalised but by framing it in old fashioned techniques it challenges that acceptance.

I also found the characters very engaging, well acted and wanted to learn more about their lives. The idea of a clinical trial of a one-time psychological health treatment was also a draw.

Why did you find it boring? What types of things do you find interesting in SciFi shows? Rather than simply listing everything we've watched recently if you posted that information people could make better suggestions for you.

I watched the first 30 minutes and didn't understand what it was all about and Emma Stone only appeared the first few minutes. Stars are important in any show. When I have time, i'll read the summary and watch it again.

I want TV Sci-Fi with more action like Travelers or Star Gate Atlantis.. but don't want to be stuck with the stories of each. Want varieties. Is it really worth subscribing to Netflix? I don't want to try their one month free HD because they may charge me forever.

Ryan_m_b said:

I finally watched episode 2 of Maniac and beginning to like it. It's like Purge without the violence. I want sci-fi that can make you think long after the show is over. I don't like those shows like Flash or Supergirl in which you no longer think afterwards. So do you have other listings of the themes I'm looking for? I'm also interested in how aliens think and act or even how they look (like whether they have 3 or 5 eyes instead of 2) so movies that explore this would be welcomed.

By the way. In current psychiatric practice.. what is close to the trauma extracting and clearing method in Manaic? In a world where violence is abound. we need methods for emotional and trauma clearing to avoid more psychological damage and violent inciting memories.

kiki_danc said:
I want sci-fi that can make you think long after the show is over.
You really want to watch Black Mirror.
It is speculative fiction at its finest.
The plots are less important than the ideas - and their implications.

Likes Rubidium_71 and kiki_danc
I just found out about this TV series made in 2015 called Glitch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192782/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

"A police officer in a small town is called out to the local cemetery in the middle of the night. He makes a discovery that turns his world upside down: six people have risen from the dead in perfect health."

And beginning to watch it. There are already 2 seasons. It looks ok.

I want alien immortal theme tv or movies. You see. Common sense says that there will come a time when we will have mastery over medical science of the physical body and become immortals. So there should already be immortal aliens in the universe. What could be their purpose in life, etc.? What would you do if you were immortal?

kiki_danc said:
I started to watch that. Don't remember why I stopped.

DaveC426913 said:
I started to watch that. Don't remember why I stopped.

Do you know where to see a list of all tv sci fi shows ever shown so I can look at old ones I missed? I don't like the new series now. Maybe some old ones better.

kiki_danc said:
Do you know where to see a list of all tv sci fi shows ever shown so I can look at old ones I missed?
No.

I imagine Wiki might have such a list, but it won't be correlated with shows that you can actually still get.

You should watch Occupied on Netflix .

My all time favorite science fiction TV show is Halt and Catch Fire.

kiki_danc said:
Common sense says that there will come a time when we will have mastery over medical science of the physical body and become immortals. So there should already be immortal aliens in the universe. What could be their purpose in life, etc.? What would you do if you were immortal?

If movies derived from TV series meet your criteria, I enjoyed Aeon Flux the 2005 movie often listed on premium cable channels. My children liked the animated series on MTV and really enjoyed the movie. Good acting with familiar stars. Gorgeous sets and architecture. Many cool gadgets and future tech. The entire plot is centered on 'continuing lives' with a goal of immortality.

Dark Matter, but it may only be on Netflix.

Klystron said:
If movies derived from TV series meet your criteria, I enjoyed Aeon Flux the 2005 movie often listed on premium cable channels. My children liked the animated series on MTV and really enjoyed the movie. Good acting with familiar stars. Gorgeous sets and architecture. Many cool gadgets and future tech. The entire plot is centered on 'continuing lives' with a goal of immortality.
I've seen all the different Aeon Flux stuff, but my favorite remains the initial 6 shorts that were shown on Liquid Television. The animation was better than the later series, and each episode was like a self contained puzzle or video game - always ending in the female lead's death. They were brilliant, and often really funny.

phinds said:
Dark Matter, but it may only be on Netflix.

Thanks for this suggestion. Netflix free trial came with my TV monitor. I'm enjoying the first season despite the cliche of the teenager being the brightest most technically, morally, and socially advanced character aboard ship. :rolleyes:

I'll elaborate below, but sci-fi TV I've watched of late (mostly on Netflix):

"The 100"
"Lost in Space"
"Maniac"
"Altered Carbon"
"The Expanse"
"Killjoys"
"Titans"
And in the queue:
"Nightflyers"
"Travelers"​

That list notwithstanding, there seems a dearth of compelling sci-fi on TV (at least the channels I pay for), to the point that I actually compared the recent "Lost in Space" with the Western series, "Godless" in my blog last year. Suffice to say, "Lost in Space" came off second best because it was so appallingly plotted. Things happen 'just because' and while you sometimes need a dose of that to get the story going, "Lost in Space" was lost in that and every other dimension as well. Not recommended.

I'd hoped "Maniac" would live up to the first-rate cast and really atmospheric sets, but it seemed to be strange for the sake of it and that's been well and truly done..the original "Twin Peaks" set that bar very high indeed. The nadir for me was Ep 4, where it got so weird it made negative sense. I'm assuming the story arced back around to explain all that, but by Ep 5 I'd given up waiting.

"Altered Carbon" has been noted already and it was good, but I felt sagged in the middle. Given the richness of Morgan's storytelling - and uber sex and violence in his novels (his novel "Market Forces" was literally dripping in lust) - that was likely to occur but it was disappointing. Still, I'm hoping it was successful enough that "Broken Angels" comes to our screens.

"The Expanse" is better than most in every regard, and it was especially nice to see a solid attempt at zero gee effects, though the machinations regarding the protomolecule benefited from having read the books.

More recently I tried "Killjoys", which follows a team of bounty hunters in a future that feels a lot like "Firefly" but lacks Nathan Fillion's conflicted 'good guy having to be bad guy' ambiguity that grounded "Firefly" with an 'everyman' character. So, I've managed three episodes of "Killjoys" but thus far it's "one for later" when I've nothing else to watch because "Johnny" - the somewhat goofy newbie bounty hunter - does stupid stuff of the kind that a bounty hunter, even a lowly Level 3 like Johnny, would not be expected to. You see the absolute worst of people being a bounty hunter, so Johnny's random acts of kindness are both inappropriate and would have already gotten his head blown off.

But one I am enjoying is "Titans." Moody, gritty, self-consistent, it's got a "Watchmen" vibe and that's definitely to be commended.

And it's been around for a while, but "The 100" was silly fun. Not much of it makes sense if you stop to consider it, but everyone is totally going with it, so I forgave it the obvious (and many) WTF moments.

Killjoys gets better : I think introducing slowly the inevitably weird backstories helps, as does having consistent secondary characters.

My angstometer kept redlining during the first episode of The 100, and I haven't looked back. I initially facepalmed at the premise (oh no, our massive space station is failing, let's send 100 untrained teenagers down to the planet, where they can immediately start getting clique-y and stabbing each other in the back) until I realized that's pretty much how civilizations work. Still too angsty, though.

I may give The Expanse another shot (don't recall why I stopped)

The new Doctor is as good as the olds ; ST Discovery, I'm watching ironically, so far. The bits of The Magicans that are solid seem mostly lifted from The Chronicles of Narnia. I'm not sure The Orville counts as SF.

In the media-hopping category, Titans is decent but, like Supergirl, has all the depth of a bone-dry wading pool. Sabrina is a bit more interesting, since there's little/no relation to previous incarnations.

hmmm27 said:
Killjoys gets better : I think introducing slowly the inevitably weird backstories helps, as does having consistent secondary characters.

I'm going to give it a go, just more slowly than some others that I've found more compelling. It's interesting that Canada seems to be punching above its weight in sci-fi recently, not sure why, probably funding!

hmmm27 said:
My angstometer kept redlining during the first episode of The 100, and I haven't looked back.

Yep, totally get that. The very Earth-like gravity on space stations that weren't spinning was my facepalm moment. I kinda got the "Let's send the kids down", as they were essentially sacrificial goats, but surely, with all the gear on those space stations, they'd have found a way to measure radiation levels from orbit. They had shovels up there for God's sake, a couple of dosimeters aren't too much to ask for :sorry:

I'd forgotten about the Doctor, now that's venerable sci-fi, though Earth is definitely a strange attractor for time travel, it seems. And never got into the ST universe. Even younger, it was just a bit...tame, I guess. Not sure. Hadn't come across The Magicians, however, I'll check that out, thanks.

Finally, one series from yesteryear that I do revisit is Fringe. Kind of a more sophisticated X-Files, with at least a resolution, rather than the continual "are they, or aren't they?", it's worth seeking out if you've not seen it.

kiki_danc said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192782/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

"A police officer in a small town is called out to the local cemetery in the middle of the night. He makes a discovery that turns his world upside down: six people have risen from the dead in perfect health."

And beginning to watch it. There are already 2 seasons. It looks ok.

I want alien immortal theme tv or movies. You see. Common sense says that there will come a time when we will have mastery over medical science of the physical body and become immortals. So there should already be immortal aliens in the universe. What could be their purpose in life, etc.? What would you do if you were immortal?

Go Insane. It would be hell. Everything goes on and on with no respite. Input after input. Your brain [well maybe not yours mine though--] would explode with all that crap -the junk data of too much day time television reruns--the day of our lives - turning into the Yugas of ancient India. What that British Royal astronomer suggested was intelligent immortal machines. Sucking it all up. Bit like Red Dwarf maybe.

kiki_danc said:
What is the current sci-fi tv shows you are watching? I may miss something. I watch only:

1. Manifest
2. Legacies
3. Discovery of Witches.
4. Gifted
5. Salvation (season 2 finished)

I avoided the Flash, Arrow, DC Legends of Tomorrow, because after watching Thanos, they became quite pale in comparison.

Did I miss any good sci-fi tv series lately or shown recently? Can you mention them?
Given my TV blew up and don't miss it I buy DVDs and currently watching 12 Monkeys the series. It is not boring. Many stories weave in and out. Some relate but it does not matter. Overall it fits the disconnectedness of the plot itself. And no pathetic soap type melodrama. Even though at times it gets close -but then surprises you with something unexpected. For sci-fi it is good.

almostvoid said:
Go Insane. It would be hell. Everything goes on and on with no respite.

There was an English TV show where a lady could hear/see ghosts, sorry don't recall what it was called. She was essentially as you describe, so not your exact use case, but your description resonated with me. Seemingly schizophrenic but only because the ghosts yabbered at her 24/7. Then there is the somewhat local equivalent, "Medium" with Patricia Arquette playing Allison Dubois who also hears/see ghosts but lives a pretty normal life. It always seemed unlikely, you'd be a mess with voices whispering away at all hours.

Klystron said:
Aeon Flux- great. first the tv series then the movie and a graphic novel... good heroine. You may like Appleseed

this was the first--from the director of the original Ghost-in-the-Shell

Tghu Verd said:
There was an English TV show where a lady could hear/see ghosts, sorry don't recall what it was called. She was essentially as you describe, so not your exact use case, but your description resonated with me. Seemingly schizophrenic but only because the ghosts yabbered at her 24/7. Then there is the somewhat local equivalent, "Medium" with Patricia Arquette playing Allison Dubois who also hears/see ghosts but lives a pretty normal life. It always seemed unlikely, you'd be a mess with voices whispering away at all hours.
the yabbering I can relate to; My mother! I think she had ADD because I've got adHd--it's got advantages to it.

1. What is the premise of Manifest?

Manifest follows the passengers of Montego Air Flight 828, who experience a time jump of five and a half years during a routine flight. Upon their return, they must navigate the repercussions of their absence and unravel the mystery behind their time jump.

2. What makes Legacies a unique sci-fi TV show?

Legacies is a spin-off of the popular sci-fi show, The Vampire Diaries. It combines elements of supernatural beings, magic, and science fiction to create a unique and compelling story. It also explores themes of family, identity, and destiny.

3. Is A Discovery of Witches based on a book?

Yes, A Discovery of Witches is based on the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness. The TV show follows the first book in the trilogy, also titled A Discovery of Witches, which tells the story of a historian who discovers she is a witch and must navigate a world of magic and danger.

4. What sets A Discovery of Witches apart from other supernatural TV shows?

A Discovery of Witches stands out for its complex and well-developed characters, as well as its blend of supernatural elements with historical and academic themes. It also features stunning cinematography and a compelling love story.

5. Are there any other must-watch sci-fi TV shows similar to these?

Yes, there are many other popular sci-fi TV shows that fans of Manifest, Legacies, and A Discovery of Witches might enjoy. Some recommendations include Stranger Things, The 100, The Umbrella Academy, and The Expanse.

Back