Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New type of Electric motor?

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you've ever read the book "Voodoo Science" by Robert Park (and I highly recommend it), you'll find that virtually all newsertainment stories about perpetual motion start exactly the same way: a maverick going against the "establishment," usually self-taught (as so not to learn the correct science), etc.

As for his "invention," yes, once you see Eout>Ein, you can dismiss it without a second thought, but lemme see if I can find the specific flaw in this one...

...yep, a very, very common one:
    Yeah, its impressive allright: magnets that don't obey conservation of energy.
    Translation: 'I understand physics - this is a hoax, not an error.'

This is probably the most common type of overunity efficiency motor hoax there is. Proving it works is trivially simple: connect the output to the input and disconnect the external power. Go figure: no one ever does it. But showing apples=>oranges voltage/amperage comparisons is an easy way to trick people.

4. Apr 16, 2004 #3

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

Well, since its OVER unity, why not connect the output to the input with a couple light bulbs hooked up too and utilize the 'free' energy to do some useful work. Actually, with 330% efficiency, better get a whole bunch of them. Look, I'm lighting up Giant's stadium from my pocketwatch! :)

Nice recommendation Russ, I'll have to pick that up on my next Amazon order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?