Is the Efficiency of This Electric Motor Too Good to be True?

In summary, this is a hoax, the magnets don't obey the laws of physics, and it's just a way to get people to believe in the 'perpetual motion' machine.
faust9
I think this is a hoax.

http://www.japan.com/technology/index.php [Broken]

they power out > power in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A maverick inventor's breakthrough electric motor uses permanent magnets to make power -- and has investors salivating
If you've ever read the book "Voodoo Science" by Robert Park (and I highly recommend it), you'll find that virtually all newsertainment stories about perpetual motion start exactly the same way: a maverick going against the "establishment," usually self-taught (as so not to learn the correct science), etc.

As for his "invention," yes, once you see Eout>Ein, you can dismiss it without a second thought, but let me see if I can find the specific flaw in this one...

...yep, a very, very common one:
Apparently the angle and spacing of the magnets is such that once the rotor is moving, repulsion between the stators and the rotor poles keeps the rotor moving smoothly in a counterclockwise direction. Either way, it's impressive.
Yeah, its impressive allright: magnets that don't obey conservation of energy.
Minato assures us that he hasn't transcended the laws of physics. The force supplying the unexplained extra power out is generated by the magnetic strength of the permanent magnets embedded in the rotor. "I'm simply harnessing one of the four fundamental forces of nature," he says.
Although we learned in school that magnets were always bipolar and so magnetically induced motion would always end in a locked state of equilibrium, Minato explains that he has fine-tuned the positioning of the magnets and the timing of pulses to the stators to the point where the repulsion between the rotor and the stator (the fixed outer magnetic ring) is transitory. This creates further motion -- rather than a lockup. (See the sidebar on page 41 for a full explanation).
Translation: 'I understand physics - this is a hoax, not an error.'

This is probably the most common type of overunity efficiency motor hoax there is. Proving it works is trivially simple: connect the output to the input and disconnect the external power. Go figure: no one ever does it. But showing apples=>oranges voltage/amperage comparisons is an easy way to trick people.

Well, since its OVER unity, why not connect the output to the input with a couple light bulbs hooked up too and utilize the 'free' energy to do some useful work. Actually, with 330% efficiency, better get a whole bunch of them. Look, I'm lighting up Giant's stadium from my pocketwatch! :)

Nice recommendation Russ, I'll have to pick that up on my next Amazon order.

1. What is a new type of electric motor?

A new type of electric motor refers to a motor that utilizes a different design or technology than traditional electric motors. This could include brushless motors, linear motors, or magnetic motors.

2. How does a new type of electric motor work?

The function of a new type of electric motor varies depending on its design. However, most electric motors use electromagnetic fields to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power various devices or systems.

3. What are the advantages of a new type of electric motor?

New types of electric motors often have improved efficiency, lower maintenance requirements, and reduced noise levels compared to traditional motors. They may also offer more precise and controllable movements, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

4. Are there any limitations to a new type of electric motor?

Like any technology, new types of electric motors may have limitations. These could include higher initial costs, compatibility issues with existing systems, or specific operational requirements. It is important to carefully consider these limitations before implementing a new type of electric motor.

5. How can a new type of electric motor benefit society?

New types of electric motors have the potential to benefit society in various ways. They can reduce energy consumption, decrease emissions, and improve overall efficiency in industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and renewable energy. They may also lead to advancements in technology and innovation, creating new job opportunities and economic growth.