USGS Moon Map w/ Legend: Help Finding & Enlarging

• B
  • Thread starter KevinMcHugh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Moon
In summary, the conversation was about someone looking for a link to a map with a legend on the USGS website. They eventually found the map they were looking for and were able to enlarge it to read it clearly. They also mentioned going to another website before finding the correct one.
KevinMcHugh
TL;DR Summary
Need a legend.
I went to the usgs site and found the pdf, but for some reason I could not enlarge the file to read it. Any body got a link to the map with a legend? TIA.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is this the map you seek?
https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/map/Moon/Geology/Unified_Geologic_Map_of_the_Moon_GIS_v2
I downloaded the big version (712 MB).
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 8.03.36 AM.png

It's all legible at high mag.
There is a bunch of text at the download site, and more text here, which lead me to the download site.

I went to another site first, but it didn't work.

• Informative
Likes davenn, KevinMcHugh and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of the USGS Moon Map with Legend?

The USGS Moon Map with Legend is a tool used to help locate and enlarge specific features on the surface of the moon. It is designed to assist scientists and researchers in studying the moon's surface in detail.

2. How do I use the USGS Moon Map with Legend?

To use the map, simply locate the area you are interested in by using the legend to identify specific features or coordinates. Then, use the zoom function to enlarge the map and get a closer look at the desired location.

3. What information is included on the USGS Moon Map with Legend?

The map includes detailed topographic features, such as craters, mountains, and valleys, as well as information on the moon's geology and composition. It also includes coordinates and labels for various features.

4. Is the USGS Moon Map with Legend accurate?

Yes, the map is based on data collected from various missions to the moon, including the Apollo missions and more recent satellite missions. The USGS works closely with NASA to ensure the accuracy of the map.

5. Can I download or print the USGS Moon Map with Legend?

Yes, the map is available for download in various file formats on the USGS website. It can also be printed for personal or educational use. However, any commercial use of the map requires permission from the USGS.