Newb with AMD: Help K Set Up 1.30GHz System

• Thread starter Memnoch
  • Start date
In summary, K bought a MSI K7N2Delta Deluxe system with an AMD 3000+ and dual 512 Corsair DDR-400s. XP says he has a nice 1.30 GHz going. He should have a 200MHz fsb, unless he wants to deliberately overclock it. If he has a 333 FSB Barton 3000+, he should set the FSB to 166, unless he wants to deliberately overclock it. He has a media center so to speak, and the system is his media center so to speak. ShawnD replied that average CPU temperature is 54 C with a CPU that rises to 58 C when he's playing Homeworld 2 or anything else that requires CPU power. It seems strange that the final clock speed says
Memnoch
K, My first AMD system.
I bought the MSI K7N2Delta Deluxe.
I bought an AMD 3000+
Dual 512 Corsair DDR-400
BIOS reads that I have the correct Retail CPU
100MHZ FSB?
DDR-400?
Am I missing anything?
XP says I have a nice 1.30 GHZ going.
What should my FSB be set to in the Award BIOS?
I have an AMD 64 but that was all automatic and HIGHLY easy to set up.
But I'm kinda new to the basic XP area.
Help appreciated.
-=|peace|=-

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should have a 200MHz fsb.

If you have a 333 FSB Barton 3000+, you should set the FSB to 166, unless you want to deliberately overclock it. If you have a 400 FSB Barton 3000+, you should set (as faust9 said) the FSB to 200. Which one of these two Bartons do you have, by the way?

It seems strange that the final clock speed says 1.30 GHz. What is your multiplier set at?

If you are confident in your computer's cooling system, keep setting the FSB higher and higher until Windows is unable to boot. Then set the FSB back by about 10mhz.

10mhz would be one hundredth of a gigahertz. Maybe you meant, "...set the FSB back by about 100mhz."

hitssquad said:
Maybe you meant, "...set the FSB back by about 100mhz."

Why the heck would you do that? Mine was normally 166, but I have it at 205 right now. I went to 215 and Windows couldn't boot so I set it to 205. If I had set it back by 100, that would be 115mhz FSB. That would mean the system is underclock by a substantial amount.

Sorry. Nevermind. You were right, ShawnD. I confused FSB with final clock speed for a second there.

Whoa thanks for the replies!
I have the 333 mhz Barton.
Thought it was the 400mhz but uinfortunetly it wasn't.
I'm experiancing a weird thing though.
Is it normal with the Retail Heat Sync to experience 50C avg temp to 58 deg C?
I have 2 Exhaust fans and 2 Intakes.
Then 1 Fan dedicated to cooling my HDD's.
The system is my media center so to speak. heh

You can see what other users consider normal by reading the AMD reviews at newegg.com, but off the top of my head 50-58C for stock speed sounds high. Maybe a (very thin) coat of Arctic Silver and/or cleaning the top of the CPU would help. (Disclosure: I have only built one system and that was a Duron back in the year 2000 and not overclocked. My average CPU temperature was a little over 100 degrees F. I didn't bother trying to do anything to reduce it.)

Hmmm, interesting. I just bought some Arctic silver heh. I was also thinking about picking up a Thermaltake Heatsync for improved decrease in temp. see, right now my CPU temp is 54 C. A bit high in my opinion and all I'm doing is basic Windows XP Pro processes. My CPU rises to 58 C when I'm playing Homeworld 2 or anything else that requires CPU power.
Kinda weird but I guess it's expected with an AMD. Just odd that I get these high power fluctuations with a Retail CPU as opposed to an OEM like my AMD64 which runs at 50C top. lol
Thx for the replies and help :)

Avg Temp is now 49-51 deg C. I bought the Arctic Silver, realligned some Fans, but still I'm not seeing a temp decrease I'd like.
So is it normal for my 3000+ 333 Barton to run at 49-52 C Avg Temp with Retail Heat Sync? My AMD64 3200+ runs at 45 C Avg now that I applied the Silver.
Kinda odd that such a difference would exist. Could it possibly be the DDR-400 mixed with 333FSB of the CPU causing it to heat excessively?
Hmmm, I thought I was buying a 400mhz Barton. I should have double checked before I spent what I did. Bah, sucks I let myself get caught up in the Seattle Rush of things and had too much coffee. lol

1. What is an AMD system?

An AMD system is a computer system that uses processors manufactured by the company AMD (Advanced Micro Devices). These processors are commonly used in personal computers, servers, and other electronic devices.

2. What is the significance of 1.30GHz in this system?

1.30GHz refers to the clock speed of the processor in the system. This measures how many cycles per second the processor can execute. Generally, a higher clock speed means the processor can perform more calculations in a given amount of time.

3. Can I upgrade my AMD system?

Yes, you can upgrade your AMD system by replacing the processor, adding more memory, or upgrading other components such as the graphics card or storage drive. However, it is important to check compatibility before making any upgrades.

4. What is the best way to set up my 1.30GHz system?

The best way to set up your 1.30GHz system will depend on your specific needs and preferences. However, some general tips include ensuring proper cooling and ventilation, installing the latest drivers and updates, and optimizing your system for performance.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with my AMD system?

If you encounter any issues with your AMD system, the first step is to identify the problem. This can involve checking for error messages, running diagnostic tests, or seeking help from technical support. Once the problem is identified, you can then take steps to troubleshoot and resolve it.