Maths Tips for Newbies | Maths for Fun

• Thread starter princess_thoughtful
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to "Maths for Fun" and is looking for tips on what they can start with and build up to. They enjoy proving things in class and are looking for websites with easy proofs to keep them busy in class. They also mention learning about math competitions such as AMC 12, AIME, and USAMO.
princess_thoughtful
hey all :smile: I am quite new to the Maths for Fun thing... i like what we do in class... but doing something outside of it would be fun. has ne1 got any tips on what i can start with, and then build up 2? thanks! o:)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
princess_thoughtful said:
hey all :smile: I am quite new to the Maths for Fun thing... i like what we do in class... but doing something outside of it would be fun. has ne1 got any tips on what i can start with, and then build up 2? thanks! o:)

What do you do in class ? There are many popular mathematics books, Knotted Doughnuts, Joy of Mathematics, Flatterland, etc.

i esp like provin stuff in class... was wondering if u knew ne websites that gave sum easy proofs i culd try 1st, then sum other 1s... just 2 keep me busy in class when i get bored.

math competitions, i didnt know about these until the beginning of this year. AMC 12, AIME, USAMO.

What are some tips for newbies learning maths?

1. Start with the basics: It's important to have a strong foundation in basic concepts before moving on to more complex topics. Make sure you understand concepts like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division before moving on to more advanced topics.2. Practice regularly: Maths requires practice to improve. Set aside some time each day to work on problems and practice new concepts.3. Use real-life examples: Maths can seem abstract, but it's actually very applicable to real life. Look for ways to apply maths in your daily activities to make it more interesting and relatable.4. Ask for help: Don't be afraid to ask for help when you get stuck. Whether it's a teacher, friend, or online resource, getting help can make a big difference in your understanding.5. Have a positive attitude: Maths can be challenging, but having a positive attitude and believing in your abilities can go a long way in helping you succeed.

What are some fun ways to learn maths?

1. Games: There are many fun and educational maths games available online or in stores. Look for games that involve problem-solving and critical thinking.2. Math puzzles: Puzzles are a great way to exercise your brain and improve your maths skills. Look for logic puzzles, Sudoku, or other math-based puzzles.3. Hands-on activities: Get creative and use everyday objects to teach and learn maths. For example, use coins to practice counting or measuring ingredients while baking.4. Math apps: There are many interactive and engaging math apps that make learning fun and interactive.5. Math competitions: Participating in math competitions can be a fun way to challenge yourself and improve your skills.

How can I overcome my fear of maths?

1. Identify the root of your fear: Figure out what specifically about maths makes you anxious or scared. This will help you address the root cause.2. Take small steps: Don't try to tackle a difficult topic all at once. Break it down into smaller, more manageable steps.3. Use positive self-talk: Instead of telling yourself that you're bad at maths, try saying things like "I can do this" or "I'm improving every day."4. Seek support: Talk to a teacher, tutor, or friend about your struggles with maths. They can provide support and guidance.5. Celebrate your progress: Don't be too hard on yourself. Celebrate every small victory and acknowledge the progress you've made.

How can I make maths more interesting?

1. Relate it to real life: As mentioned earlier, finding real-life applications for maths can make it more interesting and relevant.2. Use technology: There are many online tools and apps that make learning maths interactive and engaging.3. Incorporate your interests: If you enjoy sports, try using sports statistics to practice math. If you like music, use math to understand rhythm and beats.4. Teach someone else: Teaching someone else a concept can help solidify your own understanding and make learning more enjoyable.5. Take breaks: It's important to take breaks and give your brain a rest. This can help prevent burnout and keep you motivated to continue learning.

How can I improve my math skills?

1. Practice regularly: Consistent practice is key to improving your math skills. Set aside time to work on problems and review concepts.2. Work on your weaknesses: Identify your weaknesses and focus on improving them. This will help you become a well-rounded math student.3. Use a variety of resources: Don't rely on just one textbook or resource. Use a combination of books, online resources, and practice problems to improve your skills.4. Challenge yourself: Don't shy away from challenging problems. Pushing yourself to solve difficult problems can help you improve.5. Seek feedback: Ask for feedback from teachers, tutors, or peers. They can provide valuable insights and help you identify areas for improvement.