Unraveling the Mystery of Gravity: Insights from M Theory | Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter rlinsurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, Jeffrey Ellis says that if M Theory is correct, and the universe is a giant membrane which exists in 11 dimensions, it would seem that reconciling the Standard Model and gravity would be simple. Everything in the universe are simply varying pockets of energy in the brane. The greater the energy, the more "solid" the resulting "object" -- a Higgs Boson, for example -- would appear, i.e., the more massive the object. Ellis says that either it's so mind-blowing everyone is just speechless, or he has stated it so stupidly no one can bring themselves to call him dumb to his face.
rlinsurf
Hi--

Please excuse the stupid question, but I've been wrestling with this for years.

If M Theory is correct, and the universe is a giant membrane which exists in 11 dimensions, it would seem that reconciling the Standard Model and gravity would be simple. Everything in the universe are simply varying pockets of energy in the brane. The greater the energy, the more "solid" the resulting "object" -- a Higgs Boson, for example -- would appear, i.e., the more massive the object.

So why can't the force of gravity be described as simply the collective warping of space-time by particles, and that of particles the same warping but at far smaller scales?

Any particle contains a vast amount of empty space. When collected in larger structures, the force would necessarily be apparently diminished from it's effects at close quarters. So, when accounting for the relative disproportion of the contained energy of an individual particle to it's empty space, the force of gravity would naturally appear greatly diminished from forces which interact at a sub-atomic level.

I guess what I'm saying is... perhaps I just don't understand the problem. If all matter is simply energy, than gravity must be just a different way of looking at the same force which underlies all matter... namely, greater and smaller brane-warping.

So what am I missing?

All My
Jeffrey Ellis

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. So either it's so mind-blowing everyone is just speechless, or I've stated it so stupidly no one can bring themselves to call me dumb to my face...

<grin> Either will do.

All My
Jeffrey

Last edited:
It's so generic that no one has any opinion. I mean distortions in a brane are not really different from Clifford's nineteenth century "hills in space", which was prior to all the modern physics on which present day discussions are based on. Vague pictures are not the way it works; you need precise physics. Look at the dialog Marcus posted at the fh/distler thread; this shows the give and take of real physics.

I am sorry to be so harsh. Ich kann nicht anders

I had a feeling...

I'm not sure I can say it in a more educated manner -- as I'm not that educated I'm afraid.

But I will read Marcus's post.

All My
Jeffrey

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be drawn towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it curves space and time, creating a gravitational pull towards it.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull, but mass remains constant.

4. Does gravity exist in space?

Yes, gravity exists in space. Even though space may seem to be empty, there are still massive objects such as planets and stars that have a gravitational pull on each other. However, the strength of gravity can vary in different parts of space.

5. How does gravity affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity can bend and slow down time. This is because gravity warps space and time, and the closer an object is to a massive body, the slower time passes for that object.