Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newbie maths

1. Dec 8, 2006 #1
    I'm not advanced in math at all, I only read and finished basic functions. But now,I´m real interested of learning more math, derivates, integrals and other stuff. How could I learn this and is there any way that I can learn more math? I can't take courses :(
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You can't take courses?
  4. Dec 8, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you cannot study formally, then pick up some good books. A standard introductory calculus textbook can be had pretty cheaply through a used bookseller or through ebay. You might also want to pick up some books that have a lot of solved problems, like the Schaum's outlines.

- Warren
  5. Dec 8, 2006 #4

Nope, can't take formal courses.
    Give me tips of books!
  6. Dec 8, 2006 #5
    What math have you taken (or know)?

If you just want to have fun with math, I would probably recommend studying something other than calculus. Or maybe study calculus a little more on the theoretical side. Doing all those computations is extremely boring, but learning about how calculus works is pretty cool.
  7. Dec 9, 2006 #6

I think it would be interesting just to be better at math actually, knowledge is always good ;)
  8. Dec 9, 2006 #7
    You might need to tell people exactly how much you know, and how well you know it. I think it's better to work on the elementary skills until you truly master them (unless school requires you to move on). One book which I personally enjoyed is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. A very good book which presents lots of very elementary concepts in a more advanced way using proofs, proper notation and mathematical reasoning. You will most likely already have been exposed to most of the subjects, but when you actually read it you will start to understand most of them much better. What kind of number is the square root of 2? You'll probably say irrational, however why is it irrational? Can you prove it? What exactly is the set of irrational numbers? Subjects like these are in chapter 1. I especially like it for its emphasis on proving things, which helps you develop your problem solving skills. However if you are already confident with all this stuff, then you may move on to another field like calculus.
  9. Dec 10, 2006 #8
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum ;)

Gramsci, I have had that problem recently, but I've found an interesting site. You should try and take a look at it. Thanks to it, I've learnt derivatives and integrates both within one day!

Here is the link: http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/2004/c1.html

The navigation is simple - if you want another piece of material, just click the links C1, C2, C3 ... on the top of the site.

Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?