Newbie reporting for duty!

• Thread starter The Geoff
  • Start date
Hello everybody, new here :)

I'm a science buyer with a UK bookshop, a trade that is notoriously badly paid but makes up for it with free reading matter and interesting people at science festivals. Never quite got that astrophysics degree, but I'm still very much into the field as an amateur, my favourite area is cosmology and (yes, it's not-really-science ;)) multiverse theories.

I'm into kitesurfing, probably the most fun you can have when covered head to toe in rubber and immersed in the North Sea. I also enjoy rock and ice climbing. My hobbies generally stem from an odd relationship with gravity.

I also tinker rather extensively with php/mysql, perl, python and linux.

Evo

Mentor
Welcome to PF The Geoff!! You'l find many friendly knowledgable people here and lots of great subjects.

What's your favorite fish?

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi The Geoff, I'm sure you will have fun here!

Thank you!

Evo - you seem to be angling for my favourite fish. Is this the right plaice for that? I don't want to carp, I'm just asking to avoid musseling in on the wrong forum. I was just expecting something a bit more physicsy, like my favourite glowing Platonic solid. That's easy, that's a neon tetra...

(Oh yeah, and sorry...I do puns...)

Last edited:

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: puns are good, now.. what fish do you like?

Erm...neon tetra. I also had a pet shark when I was 15, he was called gums. A little red-fin about 10cm long, he was cool too.

you should post outside of GD, so you don't look like such a noob with your Posts: 0

:wink:

I'm still trying to find something sufficiently interesting to post without looking like a crackpot! You can't rush a first real post you know, you only get one of them ;)

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: Welcome The Geoff.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well you've been waiting with baited breath, being koi, wondering what is the porpoise of our fishy inquiries. We're not asking about fish sole-y from curiosity or just for the halibut, no!

*lisab whacks The Geoff repeatedly with a beautiful neon tetra*

Consider yourself officially welcomed to PF :smile:!

sigh, yes I know a porpoise is not a fish

rhody

Gold Member
Hello everybody, new here :)
I'm into kitesurfing, probably the most fun you can have when covered head to toe in rubber and immersed in the North Sea. I also enjoy rock and ice climbing. My hobbies generally stem from an odd relationship with gravity.

I also tinker rather extensively with php/mysql, perl, python and linux.
Geoff,

Welcome. Hope you will find it interesting here, ever do any work problem solving while on the rocks/ice ? Most folks clear their minds there, but some can solve problems while engaged, so to speak.

Rhody...

P.S. Lisa put that:
*whacks The Geoff repeatedly with a beautiful neon tetra*
down, you will scare him away for good. lol.

Last edited:
ever do any work problem solving while on the rocks/ice ? Most folks clear their minds there, but some can solve problems while engaged, so to speak.
Yup, I know what you're on about there - there's nothing more distracting than finding yourself trying to calculate exactly how hard you're going to hit that wall if you fall off and pendulum on x metres of rope that will stretch by y..... :eek:

The kitesurfing's even worse, it's all resolution of forces and plane vs foil effects. Bernoulli sucks.

rhody

Gold Member
Yup, I know what you're on about there - there's nothing more distracting than finding yourself trying to calculate exactly how hard you're going to hit that wall if you fall off and pendulum on x metres of rope that will stretch by y..... :eek:

The kitesurfing's even worse, it's all resolution of forces and plane vs foil effects. Bernoulli sucks.
Geoff,

Kind of like this ? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9164237466268678041#" [Broken]

Rhody... :eek:

Edit: You may like this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=370675&highlight=Sharma"

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
Well you've been waiting with baited breath, being koi, wondering what is the porpoise of our fishy inquiries. We're not asking about fish sole-y from curiosity or just for the halibut, no!

*lisab whacks The Geoff repeatedly with a beautiful neon tetra*

Consider yourself officially welcomed to PF :smile:!

sigh, yes I know a porpoise is not a fish
that was great lisab!