Welcome Newbie: Discovering the Edge of the Universe

• Thread starter iflexit_1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of space and its effect on the observable universe. The speaker poses a question about the stretching of photons and the distance of galaxies. Responders clarify that the edge of the observable universe is determined by the cosmic microwave background and explain the concept of the accelerated expansion of space. They also discuss the time and distance at which galaxies were formed in relation to the emission of the CMB. The conversation ends with a question about the functioning of headlights at the speed of light.
iflexit_1
Hello everyone! I'm new to the board, so thought I'd take a moment and introduce myself. I have a degree in Liberal Arts, but like so many of us, the first time I gazed upward on a dark night and wondered in amazement, I was hooked. I have enjoyed perusing so many of your contributions, and hope in some small way I will be able to add a bit of knowledge to the forum.
Now I pose a question. I understand that due to the accelerated expansion of space, that the edge of the observable universe is about 46 bly. Now, a galaxy omits a photon aproximately 13.7 billion years ago. Space is expanding, so the space traversed by the photon expands behind it during the trip. Consequently, by the time the photon reaches us, the galaxy is about three times further. My question is this. Even though the photon has been stretched, and the galaxy is at a greater distance than 13.7 bly, won't the galaxy we observe when the photon reaches us be the galaxy as it appeared when it first emitted the photon? At 46 bly, and space still expanding, we may never see the photons emitted at that distance. Correct? In fact, our galaxy at 46 bly may have long merged with other galaxies.

Space news on Phys.org
iflexit_1 said:
Now I pose a question. I understand that due to the accelerated expansion of space, that the edge of the observable universe is about 46 bly. Now, a galaxy omits a photon aproximately 13.7 billion years ago. Space is expanding, so the space traversed by the photon expands behind it during the trip. Consequently, by the time the photon reaches us, the galaxy is about three times further.
Actually, the edge of the visible universe is set by the cosmic microwave background, which was emitted at the time that the universe became transparent. The universe was just over 1000 times smaller then, so that radiation was emitted a mere 46 million light years away. It's just that due to the expansion it has taken 13.7 billion years to get here (for every light year the photon moved, the space between us and the photon expanded significantly, so that it took so long).

iflexit_1 said:
My question is this. Even though the photon has been stretched, and the galaxy is at a greater distance than 13.7 bly, won't the galaxy we observe when the photon reaches us be the galaxy as it appeared when it first emitted the photon?
Yes, basically. But bear in mind that there were no galaxies when the CMB was emitted. The first galaxies don't appear until the universe was somewhere around the time that the universe had expanded by a factor of 50 from the emission of the CMB (I'd have to look up where this was in time and distance).

iflexit_1 said:
At 46 bly, and space still expanding, we may never see the photons emitted at that distance. Correct? In fact, our galaxy at 46 bly may have long merged with other galaxies.
If the accelerated expansion continues, we can never see anything that is currently beyond about 16 billion light years, because beyond that there will always be more space left to travel than the photon will pass.

iflexit_1 said:
At 46 bly, and space still expanding, we may never see the photons emitted at that distance. Correct? In fact, our galaxy at 46 bly may have long merged with other galaxies.

Correct. According to standard cosmo, light emitted today, at that distance will never reach us. Or indeed light emitted today from any distance beyond the 16 billion lightyears that Chalnoth mentioned.

I concur with each point in Chalnoth's response.
Good questions, iflexit. Welcome. I hope to see more of your posts.

(Most of the time on this forum we are talking about details features consequences of the standard cosmological model, in its various versions. It gets tedious always repeating this and you probably realized it already :biggrin:. So I guess we should just assume it unless otherwise specified. The standard model is called LambdaCDM, and the cosmo constant Lambda is the thing that causes the very gradual acceleration resulting in the presence of that 16 billion lightyear horizon.)

Last edited:
Kudos to you, gentlemen. You have certainly provided me with a better understanding.
Chalnoth, I believe the distance for galaxy formation is about 13.2 bly, and therefore created when the universe was only about 500 million years old.
I just have to throw one more inane one out. My high school physics teacher (1968) asked this question of the class, and I've never forgotten it. If we get into a car and accelerate to the speed of light, then turn the headlights on, will they work?

You can't quite accelerate all the way to the speed of light (basically you would need an infinite fuel supply to offset your car's dilating mass), but the lights would work as normal (the rules of physics are relative), although they mightn't be terribly helpful (for navigating obstacles that have almost reached you by the time you see the light that they reflected).

1. What is "Welcome Newbie: Discovering the Edge of the Universe" about?

"Welcome Newbie: Discovering the Edge of the Universe" is a book that explores the latest scientific discoveries about the universe and takes readers on a journey to the edges of the known universe. It covers topics such as the Big Bang, dark matter, and the expansion of the universe.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is intended for anyone who is curious about the universe and wants to learn more about the latest scientific discoveries. It is suitable for readers of all ages, from beginners to those with a background in science.

3. Does this book require any prior knowledge of science or astronomy?

No, "Welcome Newbie: Discovering the Edge of the Universe" is written in an accessible and easy-to-understand manner. It does not assume any prior knowledge of science or astronomy and is suitable for readers with little or no background in these subjects.

4. Will this book provide new information for readers who already have a basic understanding of astronomy?

Yes, this book covers the latest scientific discoveries and theories about the universe, so even readers who have a basic understanding of astronomy will likely learn new and fascinating information.

5. Are there any visual aids or illustrations in this book?

Yes, "Welcome Newbie: Discovering the Edge of the Universe" contains illustrations, diagrams, and images to help readers better understand the concepts being discussed. These visual aids are used to enhance the reading experience and make the information more accessible.