What is the significance of the second detection of gravitational waves by LIGO?

• Thread starter GW150914
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introducing
In summary, the second detection of gravitational waves by LIGO is significant because it provides further evidence for the existence of these elusive ripples in space-time. It also confirms the accuracy and sensitivity of the LIGO detectors, paving the way for more precise detections and a deeper understanding of the universe. This particular detection, which occurred on December 26, 2015, involved the merging of two black holes with masses 14 and 8 times that of the Sun, respectively. This event was also the first time that both of LIGO's detectors, located in Louisiana and Washington, were able to simultaneously detect a gravitational wave, further strengthening the validity of the findings. Overall, the second detection of gravitational waves by LIGO marks a significant
GW150914
Hey everyone, I'm GW150914, and (obviously) I'm new here. (Or should I say "GW150914 report for duty sir"? lol) As you can see, my name comes from the first direct detection of gravitational waves by LIGO in 2015. I'm a Chinese (aka cool person lol) , now studying physics in USTC, and I'm interested in exoplanets. Besides, I'm a big fan of Star Trek (i.e. I'm a trekkie), my favorite starship is USS Defiant (NX-74205) and my favorite character is Jadzia Dax(she is really charming). I hope I can improve my physics as well as English here. Live long and prosper!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!

Looks like we also got GW151226 now ;).

Yeah, I heard of that yesterday, NASA China's weibo account posted it yesterday afternoon (UTC+8), they claimed that it's a sensational news, but I can't understand why, since this is a second GW source, not the first one, and it does not overthrow GR or indicates something incredible. In fact, I would say it's quite a normal discovery, and LIGO is going to make more and more similar discoveries in the following years.