Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newer Textbooks

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    I'm 38 and I just became reinterested in math as a hobby. I've bought a few textbooks on Ebay to catch up the things I learned 20+ years ago in High School, and I'm just floored by the new texts.

Is it just me, or is reading a textbook that's recently published feel like you're reading a super-PC version of People Magazine? (Sometimes, it takes awhile just to find the content through all the fluff.)

The Rev
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    I prefer US Weekly myself.

I think the same can be said of mags like Newsweek and Time. It's about the colorful pictures now.

But once you get past high school or even some freshman year college textbooks - things are as dull in presentation as ever - at least in physics.
  4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tell me about it.

Examples and junk all over the place.
  5. Apr 11, 2005 #4
    Examples???.... ah... yes, I remember textbooks that have examples in them, I miss them. Oh well I guess. And yes, as juvenal has already said, textbooks in physics are as bland as they have always been in physics and I am guessing the same in other subjects.
    Cheers and good luck in the textbook search.
  6. Apr 12, 2005 #5
    Well at least your not being told which books to buy based on some sort of school politics or based on which books your Professor has written and needs to sell.
  7. Apr 12, 2005 #6
    Thank God. When I went looking for a Trig book, I made sure to get one published in the '80s. Nice and monochromatic. No social history worked in. No pictures from movies to keep in fun. Just boring old equations and math in their pristine, undisturbed beauty.

The Rev
  8. Apr 12, 2005 #7
    Don't even get me started. It's obscene enough to rewrite history books to fit the current political cause celebre. When they start doing it to math books, then I have to call my lawyer; cus dat's jus wrong, biatch!

The Rev
  9. Apr 12, 2005 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought you were 38?
  10. Apr 12, 2005 #9
    I am. I'm just getting back into math as a hobby. (Don't let my use of the word "biatch" throw you off :tongue: ).

The Rev
  11. Apr 12, 2005 #10

Hehe, our entire first year course uses the book written by one of our faculty.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?