Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newest Character on House

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    I like Dr. Chi Park (actress Charlyne Yi). The discrepancy between geek and being able to stand up to House might be to much to believe, but I find her behind-the-scenes comedic talent to be exceptional.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Her voice really annoys me, she sounds too whiny!

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    Yes, she does. I hope she finds her "voice." She'll have to find some more kick if she's to last. Still, the non-verbal interplay had some kick, but I feel like House was pulling her along, rather than she was establishing her own part in the piece.

I love the closing line among old friends. :) Reminds me of a lot of myself and my friends.

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'm going to stay out of this thread (to avoid spoilers) until I can find access to a couple of intervening shows that I apparently missed. The last that I saw was numbnuts delivering a hairbrush or similar trinket by means of vehicular housebreaking. Next show that I saw had him and what's her pickle working a case together. I really have to find out what happened in between. (By the bye... after spending 3 weeks in Intensive Care with machines breathing for me, I can never take this show seriously again. On the other hand, I absolutely adore Hugh Laurie, so I will continue to watch.)
    Some of you might have noticed that I exhibit symptoms of "yellow fever" at times, which I readily admit is true. Charlyne Yi, despite being knee-high to a hobbit and wearing Carter Nash glasses, is hot. :tongue2:

6. Oct 16, 2011 #5
    Where are you seeing her "behind-the-scenes comedic talent"? She's not comedic on House.

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6

Danger

Gold Member

It's in her manner of delivery; she's very subtle about it.

8. Oct 19, 2011 #7
    Hey! The latest installment is in, and it seems the writers totally missed the boat on her comedic talent.

On the other hand, the entire relationship dynamic of the series has changed. I think for the better. I think last season they went too much for that tired-old dramatic. This season it seams to be the unexpected.

Waiting and seeing...

9. Oct 19, 2011 #8
    She makes sardonic/facetious comments (but they're "in-the-scenes", not "behind-the scenes").

I hope you saw the opening episode of the season with House in prison. It was mind-bending to see him reduced to the job of janitor and having to give his vicoden allotment to other prisoners or have his head bashed in.

His new "team", the Chinese girl, is shaping up to be the most 'House-Like' team he's ever had. Their collaboration on scamming the guest team member into paying for her car repairs is something he would not have elicited so easily from any past team member. Like House, she has no real problem with manipulating people or bending the rules on purely moral grounds.

There was no mention in this episode of her hearing, but, depending on how it goes, she may end up with a grudge against the hospital, which House might be happy to help her settle. There's a lot of very interesting things that could happen with what they have set up.

10. Oct 19, 2011 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I just Googled her. To kick-off to her incredible resume, she began her career as a stand-up comedian.

11. Oct 19, 2011 #10
    You're aware that House, himself, used to be a British comedian? He was the "Laurie" half of "Piper and Laurie", and they were pretty damned funny.

He is the only British actor I know of who can do an American accent so well that there's not one iota of anything strange, or "off" sounding about it to American ears.

12. Oct 19, 2011 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

He's also a musician.

13. Oct 19, 2011 #12
    He's also a physicist.

House, I mean.

14. Oct 19, 2011 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean Fry and Laurie. The other half was Stephen Fry, who's a very clever man.

It's a good job House isn't a real person, otherwise there would be nothing left for physicists to do!

15. Oct 19, 2011 #14
    Yes, I mean Fry and Laurie. Where the hell did I get "Piper and Laurie"? By quantum entanglement with the name of the actress "Piper Laurie":

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001453/
    Yes, we have to suppose he'd solve a few mysteries.

16. Oct 19, 2011 #15

Evo

I hope this *nicer* version of House stays, I'd gotten so sick of the old House that I stopped watching last year. They just went too far with his character, he was so disgustingly self centered.

17. Oct 21, 2011 #16
    I think that he has always been mostly self centered but it was generally played as being childish quirkiness. They seemed to realize that the general routine was getting a bit too repetitive and started focusing more on the personal lives of the characters which I found a bit annoying. Going on that tack they seemed to feel they ought to reveal House as truly being a borderline psychopath and not just affecting it for ****s and giggles. Which is interesting I suppose but I don't really watch House for the relationship drama.

18. Nov 20, 2011 #17
    Before he was "House":

[YouTube]hNoS2BU6bbQ[/YouTube]

I love these guys. Absolutely as good as the best of Monty Python.

19. Apr 25, 2012 #18

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook