Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newest first

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In my account settings I have Thread Display Mode set as Newest first. In most cases that means I don't have to scroll down to see newest post, as it sits already at top of the page. However, it breaks links to threads. For example, when there is loooong thread that spans across 10 pages, and in some other thread someone posted link to post on the 2nd page - I am displayed 8th page instead of the 2nd. This can be easily checked by switching between Newst first/Oldest first while following links from Evo's post here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72803

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2

Evo

There won't be any new posts in that thread as I just edit the exisiting posts when I update, which I am behind in updating.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3

Borek

Problem is not with your posts - but with the forum software. I have spotted that for the first time when someone mentioned picture posted in caption comptetion thread - but there was no picture at the page linked to. Trick is, I don't remember what post was that, and your posts were much easier to use to explain what is going on.

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4

Evo

I need to do another run through and delete bad picture links again. <sigh> I need a helper.

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well of course the default is to have the oldest first which is what many (most?) people have, so when they post a link for a specific page in a thread then it will of course only make sense if everyone is ordering the posts in the same way. Take for example a two page thread and somebody links to the second page for some reason. The person with older posts first will get the newer posts on the second page and the person with newer posts first will get the older posts on the second page. I don't think there is anything that can be done about it really except for conforming with the majority or putting up with the annoyance.

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6

Borek

Kurdt, being programmer for half of my life I perfectly understand what is happening. I am just reporting the issue.

I beleieve there several possible ways of dealing with the problem - apart from just ignoring it. Trick is, they will all require changes to the vBulletin engine, so it doesn't make sense to fight them just on PF, these are changes that Jelsoft should implement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?